Getting an error message and at the same time a successful submission too

I wrote the solution according to the given instruction but it is showing an error ([TypeError: Cannot assign to read only property ‘PI’ of object ‘#’])
but as I submitted it showed ‘correct solution’ with the error line still visible. why did this happen?

**Your code so far**

function freezeObj() {
const MATH_CONSTANTS = {
  PI: 3.14
};
// Only change code below this line
Object.freeze(MATH_CONSTANTS);

// Only change code above this line
try {
  MATH_CONSTANTS.PI = 99;
} catch(ex) {
  console.log(ex);
}
return MATH_CONSTANTS.PI;
}
const PI = freezeObj();
  **Your browser information:**

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_14_6) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/88.0.4324.192 Safari/537.36.

Challenge: Prevent Object Mutation

Link to the challenge:

Right, it’s passing the unit tests but you are getting some JS errors. I assume that the JS errors are on purpose - they are coming because it is trying to change a frozen value - they are testing what you did.

2 Likes

got it!! thank you @kevinSmith :smile:

Just for further clarification, that’s why it’s in a try/catch block - to keep it from crashing for this error. The error message you are seeing in the console is from the console.log in the catch block.

1 Like

thank you for your time and explanation @kevinSmith . Things got more clear to me. :star_struck:

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.