Getting Certified and Remembering What You've Learned

Hey guys! I’m currently in the 70’s with my challenges completed so far, and I know I have many more to go. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on the number of challenges to do each day. My ultimate goal is to learn the language of Java and create my own apps and games for people.

Questions:

1. Do you take notes or recommend doing so for beginners? (By the way, there are pdf files with HTML and CSS cheat-sheets that I believe would be very helpful if I forgot anything.)

2.I want to do coding as a side job. After becoming certified, how do I look for developers who interest me, and reach out to them?

3.How much coding practice do you do each day?

4.Have any of you forgot many of the things you have done while working on your front end certification?

1. Any tips for reinforcing the learning you do on here?

Any other questions would be appreciated. The more we all know, the better. :evergreen_tree:

I’m hoping to become a park ranger one day. I think it would be quite odd to have that career and code in your downtime, but there’s a first for everything!

1. It depends on you. I usually take notes when I follow a video tutorial. I rarely go back to those notes later on, but writing the notes helps me process the information. So if it helps you, go for it.

2. My best advice would be to start meeting people in your local tech community if you can. Knowing people will open a lot of doors and you will get a better sense of what your local market is like.

3. Depends. When I started learning, I was doing around 1-2 hours a day usually. I was working another job and I have a young child, so I took whatever time I could find. I find that coding a little every day (or almost every day) will work better than having one long day of coding.

4. Yep! Tons of it. I work as a developer now, and still, I google things all the time. I can’t count the number of times I had to remove an item from an array, and I had to look it up. every. single. time. Some things will stick in your head and others not. It’s alright. As long as you have a general idea of how things work, you can just google the exact syntax when you need it.

For reinforcing the learning: practice practice practice. Do projects. They can be freeCodeCamp projects, or your own, or just take one freeCodeCamp project that you love and add tons of extra feature.

Being a park ranger sounds fun! Lots of outdoor time with that, I assume. That would be a good balance with the coding. Good luck!!

2 Likes

I agree what @Marie000 has said. There has been numerous times I had look up simple stuff.

HTML character codes
HTML META TAG: W3schools.com MDN META TAGS
JavaScript HTML DOM Elements
Like how to initialize an array in C#.

Just keep at it and have funny.

[What is the meaning of “never memorize something that you can look up”?]
(https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-meaning-of-never-memorize-something-that-you-can-look-up)

1 Like

Being a park ranger sounds fun! :sunglasses: How big is the park? :deciduous_tree::evergreen_tree::palm_tree::cactus:

Regarding taking notes…

I take written notes on some things, for example, command line/bash commands.
These are hard to remember so it’s good to have these close to hand.

I save lots of videos on YouTube.

I bookmark anything that I know is a good tutorial - I also use del.icio.us for this.

For code, I usually Google or go straight to the languages official documentation. (They are my cheat-sheets).

Having a good IDE which has predictive text really helps.

I am coding or helping others with code every day at the moment.

1 Like

Hi!
I am at the end of the front end cert, and the single best thing I did was make a Javascript reference/cheat sheet as I went. Before I started that I was always googling a question and I felt like I was not retaining nearly as much info as I should be. Somewhere around exercise 250 I started making my reference sheet. If I use a new function I now add it too my sheet along with a short example code snippet and description of what it does. This improved my retention dramatically. Which improved my confidence dramatically too.

1 Like

I’m no where near being a park ranger yet! That’s the dream though. I would like to work in forests in California or anywhere in Canada. Once I get back to my dorm, i’m going to print out the cheat-sheets and add on to them if I need to.

1 Like

Answers:

1. I used to when I first started learning. I don’t anymore. If I run into a problem in HTML/CSS, I usually know where to look if I don’t remember how to do something specific. But, I don’t think it will hurt if you take notes.

2. You can search for “meetups” in your local area, or the closest city near you. I’ve found monthly JavaScript meetups at a university by doing this. You’ll meet lots of new people. Or, you can join a local FCC group on facebook, or again, search on “meetup”

3. Typically all day if I don’t have work, or something else to do.

4. Of course. But it’s not that important to remember everything, IMHO. The greatest ability you’ll develop, essentially, is problem solving, and that’s not something you’re going to forget.

5. Any tips for reinforcing the learning you do on here?

Take what you learn on here, and create something locally, on your machine. You’ll need a text editor, if you don’t already have one. I use Sublime text, but there are many others. That’s my tip - to start creating whatever you’re able to as soon as possible. For example, if you’ve completed the HTML/CSS section, try to make a basic image gallery, or a page that holds all of your favorite sites in links, with some extra stuff added. Just some examples.

text editors:

Sublime text
https://www.sublimetext.com/

Atom

Notepad++
https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

One thing that I’ve found is a good IDE to learn on is microsofts Visual Studio, it provides a good environment, is free, and has a relatively low learning curve (as far as learning how the UI and all that works). Maybe I’m just biased because that’s what I started on, but I’ve found that it really helped a lot for me to learn

1 Like

When I was employed, https://www.visualstudio.com/ is what I used.

Watch out for the bears :open_mouth:

1 Like