Getting overwhelmed and feeling a lot of anxiety ( facing JavaScript)

My name is Bilal and i,m 23 years old now. I,m learning JavaScript since 2.5 months ago but the fun part is , i can’t even write a tiny worthless project of my own and this thing made me too much pissed !!! like i,m feeling so much worthless right that i can’t do a single piece of shit… i don’t have much recourse around me.
Like i,m not even gaining so much… and the waste of time is so much more.
I feel myself blank whenever i try write stuff of my own.
What should i do ???

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to the FCC community~!

I am sorry that you are feeling so frustrated. :frowning: Learning to code is not always easy, and often comes in waves of success and periods of struggle. Are there certain things you are struggling to understand that we can help make clear for you?

On another note, please try not to use too much profanity - we are an open and welcoming community and don’t want our users offended. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I,m sorry for the language buddy, its just me… who want let it out what’s going inside of me

And thank you so much for the warm welcome… :slight_smile:

i want let you know that , i have just completed my two phases of JavaScript
1st phase is the baby phase which contain :

1. Learn how to declare variables.
  2. Learn what are Strings, Numbers, Booleans, Null and Undefined.
  3. Learn what are Arrays, Objects and Functions.
  4. Learn to use if and else statements.
  5. Learn how to compare variables.
  6. Learn to use the for loop.

And 2nd Phase ( Child Phase) which contains:

1. What are scopes and closures
  2. What is Synchronous/Asynchronous JavaScript and some ES6 features.
  3. How to write asynchronous JavaScript with callbacks.
  4. DOM manipulation
1 Like

All after doing that, i can’t even able to write something me own.
For example
A single button which change the background -color … not even that :frowning_face:

Like all this stuff take 2 months !! and don’t even make a small thing.
feeling so much broken

It is a big difference when you transition from following a lesson and having to build something from scratch. Try not to be too disheartened, friend. Everyone hits this same wall :slight_smile:

You will gain the greatest learning from working on your own projects and building your own code. My advice is to decide what you want to build - say it’s a webpage with a button that changes the background-color of the page, like you mentioned. Use CodePen to get a basic idea of the code (it does the work of linking the HTML, CSS, and JS files for you - great for throwing some code in and seeing what it does), and then if you get stuck you can share the link to your CodePen here and we are always willing to help!

what you would prefer ?? if i watch tutorials of different projects on JS or do something of my own from scratch ?

That’s entirely up to you! But I think the most learning comes from doing your own project from scratch - it forces you to research and understand what your code is doing.

Following a tutorial is good, for sure, but it is often too easy to fall into the “copy-paste” mindset without actually thinking about HOW the code works and WHY it works that way. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Sure :slight_smile: and thank you for the opinion man :heart:

1 Like

Always happy to help~! You got this! :purple_heart:

1 Like

I think you have gone to far with learning without doing anything between.

This means, you learn one subject like functions, study it, then do something with it on your own, a small dummy project that calculates 2+2 :blush:

P.S. don’t let your feelings win you, I’ve 10 years of experience and still feel sometimes like you :joy:

4 Likes

P.S. don’t let your feelings win you, I’ve 10 years of experience and still feel sometimes like you :joy:

This statement is so much cute :heart:
thank you for sharing this thought man :handshake:

Prince Wang’s programmer was coding software. His fingers danced upon the keyboard. The program compiled without and error message, and the program ran like a gentle wind.
“Excellent!” the Prince exclaimed. “Your technique is faultless!”
“Technique?” said the programmer, turning from his terminal, “What I follow is Tao – beyond all techniques! When I first began to program, I would see before me the whole problem in one mass. After three years, I no longer saw this mass. Instead, I used subroutines. But now I see nothing. My whole being exists in a formless void. My senses are idle. My spirit, free to work without a plan, follows its own instinct. In short, my program writes itself. True, sometimes there are difficult problems. I see them coming, I slow down, I watch silently. Then I change a single line of code and the difficulties vanish like puffs of idle smoke. I then compile the program. I sit still and let the joy of the work fill my being. I close my eyes for a moment and then log off.” [0]

Cheers and happy coding :slight_smile:

Notes:
[0] “The Tao of Programming”: The Tao of Programming

2 Likes

The thing is, you have to learn how to read official documentations. Sadly nobody teaches this skill. Also consider getting your hands dirty into algorithms, and i’m not talking about sorting algorithms but proper beginner algorithmic.
Using flowcharts and such. With those two, you know what to look for and what to do next even when you have no idea how to do it.

2 Likes

It’s ok to feel overwhelmed. Try to embrace it. You’re out of your comfort zone, learning something new and beautiful.
Like others suggested, write a function in the browser console and call it.
I’ve been coding for 3 years now and still struggling sometimes. So it’s normal :upside_down_face:
By the way I’m 50 years old. If I can do it anyone can.

4 Likes

hello bilal (balaal in my language). the thing you must know is that you have to be patient. you (and also me) are just in the first steps. we have to practice more and more to be a good developer. dont be upset. it takes time. for example, imagine if we want to lose our weight, it doesnt happened in one day. it takes time. all things needs its time. just be patient and keep trying

2 Likes

[erretres]
[James Harrys]
[eralpkor]
[mehdi1366]
Thank you everyone for everything … Every word of you guys means alot to me… Stay blessed :heart: :heart: :heart:

I’ll just leave this here, I feel it is very relevant…

4 Likes