Git cloud9 nodeschool replacement exercise in beta for?

anyone know the link to the git replacement, or even if there is one?

I haven’t checked out the back-end of the beta yet, and now that you can’t really login can’t recall my progress on it (was somewhere near the data stuff?)

anyhooooo, would love to see what the replacement for cloud9 ended up being

beta replacement for this:

Edit for clarity:

Really looking for any exercises in the new fCC curriculum that deal with learning git, and links to those exercises.

Any other tips, tricks, suggestions, guides or information is extraneous.

(Will likely go looking exercise by exercise soon anyway, but was wondering if anyone who’s completed the beta knows)

You could always develop locally.

Yah, they’ve already got that info, and links to some discussions here in the forum around completing it…

Here, I’ll rephrase the question, so you can see where I’m coming from:

Say someone was in gitter helpRoom and they wanted to complete the exercise I posted, but don’t really want to do it locally, (or actually don’t have the skillset yet to do so).

Say also there is something in the beta curriculum that is better than this for getting them used to using git. (I don’t know this for a fact though, hence the question).

So my question is: Is there anything in the beta curriculum that teaches a new user how to use it that would benefit them with completing an exercise when the beta goes live?

I want to direct them to locally grown organically created fCC farmers marketplace content. the good stuff.

Anyone know what’s being offered up as git training in the new curriculum?

You have two options:

1. Give a company your payment info and get a free cloud development environment
  2. Learn to develop locally

I can’t speak for what beta will/will not contain - what you see now could be changed/removed entirely, so I cannot give you a yes / no answer.

You are going to have to learn to do outside research - you shouldn’t use freeCodeCamp as your only resource.

I can’t find anything in the beta curriculum that teaches git at this point, but I’m sure there’s something in the works. The problem is that the git-it package has been abandoned (and it wasn’t very good in the first place).

If you haven’t tried it yet, check out CodeAcademy’s git course. It only scratches the surface, but it’s a good introduction to the concepts. CodeSchool also has some git courses, and they have free weekends from time to time. Of course, there’s also YouTube, but that’s less interactive. If you can manage a subscription, the course on git is very comprehensive and totally worth it.

Git, and source control in general, is a complicated topic. You’ll never need the more advanced features until you’re working with a team.

@nsuchy I’m also curious about this, and, just to be clear, is there anything you’re advising, besides merely stating the obvious?

thanks Brutha… forgot about Codecademy’s git exercises I did them so long ago (before my fCC days lol!)

It’s not for me… I completed the original in August 2015 before we flipped to what’s there now and completed the one above on June 2016, and have done most of the ones posted here and in P1xt’s guides…

(that said, I encourage everyone to do as many tutorials as they need to feel confident with using git and GitHub. Each tutorial gives you more practice with it)

My goto in the gitter help room has been to say ‘do it locally’ and/or ‘do one of these’ (and give links to all kinds of good git exercises a la the P1xt guides) and when confident just sign-off on the exercise…

But hey, who am I? nobody. So they asked what the replacement was and I said I didn’t know but would try to find out…

a quick google check and there’s a reddit thread someone mentions they don’t think there’s any replacement for the git exercises…

I don’t really care if there is or isn’t in the beta tbh, Just thought there might be a better way to do it and better explanations in the new curriculum is all…

For people in some countries where they can’t get access to a credit card… the present exercise still says do it in cloud9 and offers no guidance on how to do it locally or bypass it or whatnot.

yes yes I know I know… it’s not a starred so exercise so it’s no big deal but some (like me) like to learn and want to do the exercises.

Latest info (for those playing along at home with the board game edition of this game show)…

there’s a desktop app to do git-it

and some attempts to update the latest curriculum to reflect this:

So something good and tastey is coming… Brownies for everyone! :wink:

Yes, advising you to do outside research.

@Darrenfj, checkout and practice setting up, changing(pushing changes) repositories and other commands. Actual experience doing it, with a simple guide like that site, help you learn more thoroughly.

It’s not for me brutha, but for someone who wanted to complete one of the exercises in the existing curriculum…

I am always humbly grateful for new links to learn new approaches to learning stuff…

Thanks for the link! Will check it out