GIT Requirements for a Completed Project

Tell us what’s happening:

I’ve completed the tribute page. I’m new to GIT so I’m not sure what to do next in regards to adding my project to GIT. So, I have some questions:

1). Do I need one GIT repository for each project?

2). If the answer to 1 is NO can I have one GIT directory on my laptop that contains sub-directories for each project?

3). Once I have the files for a project in a GIT repository what information do I need to add into the Solution box within a project? Is a URL pointing to the GIT repository which contains a completed project?

Thanks,

Joe Breal

You need a live version of your project, not just the code. You can do this all on GitHub using GitHub Pages if you like. If you do that, you will need a repository for each project.

You dont need to, but for organizational and true version contol purposes, its a good idea to have a different repo for each project.

Generally, one repo houses all the version control and info for one project. Say you have two projects in one repo that you’re working on at the same time. At some point, you decide to wind back the changes of one project…it will wind back all the changes for anything you’ve done in that repo…including another unrelated project.

I guess you could fix that by creating a different branch within the repo for each project, but branches are really supposed to be to keep track of additional features within a project, or for each collaborator on a project to have their work in one branch. Like, everything I can think of to house and organize several projects in one repo comes with a pitfall that would need another fix…down the rabbit hole.

Is there any reason you want to put everything in one repo instead of organize your repos by project? Repos are free…you can have as many as you like. As far as your folder structure goes, you can have one folder, with projects in sub folders, and each of those sub folders can have its own repo…thats how I have my file structure organized.

1 Like

You can use github, codepen, or any other way you like to host your code.

Git and github are two different things. You could use github to host your files without using git at all if you wanted to through the website interface.

Generally each project folder would be initialized with it’s own git directory which would track your code changes which you would then stage the files and commit your changes, essentially making a save state of your current code.

At this point everything is local on your machine. You could then push your commit to a remote repository of which github is one of many.

Codepen is the easiest way in the beginning to show a live version of your project.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Very, very helpful.