Glitch in the 'Specify Upper and Lower Number of Matches' lesson?

I was wondering if the quantity specifiers were inclusive/exclusive (99.9% sure they are inclusive), so I was playing around with the sample code:

let A4 = "aaaah";
let multipleA = /a{3,5}h/;
let result = multipleA.test(A4);
console.log(result);

I got result to equal false when I changed A4 = "aah"; but when adding a’s to A4, result stayed true even when I got to 6 a’s and beyond - for example:

let A4 = "aaaaaaaaah";
let multipleA = /a{3,5}h/;
let result = multipleA.test(A4);
console.log(result)

This result still returned true. Was wondering if this is a glitch or I’m not understanding something? I thought the 5 in {3,5} meant a maximum of 5 repeating a’s to get a match.

It matches as long as a substring of the string correspond to the pattern, in aaaaaaaaaaah you have a substring with 3-to-5 a followed by h, so it tests true

1 Like

If you want to check whether a string contains at most a certain number of repetitions, you need to include what comes before and after.
For example, if we want “bah”, “baah”, and “baaah”, but nothing else we could do /ba{1,3}h/. There are special tokens for the beginning and ending of the string for when we want to specify nothing coming before and/or after.

1 Like

Ohhh no my brain!

So say we have 8 a’s aaaaaaaah

Is the test call finding its match in the last 5 a's followed by the h - basically bypassing the first 3 a's?

From what ArielLeslie said, I also tried changing the regex to /^a{3,5}h/ and was able to get return to equal false with A4 = "aaaaaaaah" I think because the ^ makes it so pattern of the minimum 3 a's and max 5 a's has to be the first part of the string directly followed by an h?

You got it!