Goal to code from an idea

I am going through CSS section and I’m realizing I’m not retaining the information. How do you guys remember these things? What methods do you use? How intense are your study methods? My goal is to be able to look at a blank page and code based on an idea or set of directives (isn’t everyone trying to get there), how did you do it?

FYI this is between long stretches of not coding or practicing on FCC. I really think I should have HTML and CSS down by now. Bah!

Thanks!

I practice in my mind even if I’m not typing code, also watch tutorials of ideas you have; on youtube - it’s a good way to stay inspired, next code small things if even just a nav bar, by continuosly interacting with code in some way, your mind will form habits out of it and start recognizing patterns. Last but not least practice something at least every weak or read about code related topics. https://www.w3schools.com/ is a good place to read up on things you might be having trouble translating to code. Hope it helps.

2 Likes

Hi @admarinnyc !

I think that is completely normal when you are learning something new.
It just takes time and practice to retain more of the information.

My approach has always been to focus heavily on projects. That is where you will learn the most.

The key is to map out the idea and break it down into small manageable bits.
If you are consistent with working on it little by little then it will come together at the end. That is what I did with my first project and that is my approach with my current project.

I don’t think anyone really masters a language. Technology changes to much to master anything.
The goal should be basic understanding and then over time you will start to feel more confident. :grinning:

2 Likes

Let me ask you this:
How did you learn to ride a bike?
Or to use a phone?

Did you have a manual?
Did you write down a step-by-step guide?
“Now put your right foot on the pedal, then …”.
Probably not. Or probably just to start out for the first week.

Why not? Because this is not how humans learn skills. This is how school/university rote-memorizing works.

And probably this is why we don’t remember 95% of the stuff we rote-memorized back then.

In real life, we learn stuff by doing/using it. We do it, we (subconsciously) see patterns and create shortcuts.

Ideas

2 Likes

Thank you. Did you take notes? Did you repeat things outloud? I have not started making projects yet - that is in the works. However, when you were going through Free Code Camp, what study methods did you use?

I know everyone has a different method, yet, I am curious, what was yours? Seems like it was building more than notetaking. Feel like sharing?

Thanks!
AdmarinNYC

Hi again!

When I am learning something new I will first read through documentation and play around with some examples.

Then I will start by building small projects.
Going though FCC projects is a good thing.

Then I start working on my own projects.

I learn the best by building and making tons of mistakes along the way.

You can learn a lot by making mistakes, reading error messages and researching for solutions. :grinning:

1 Like

https://www.udemy.com/course/advanced-css-and-sass this course improved my css a lot, you don’t need to memorise the syntax but you need to understand the concepts and where you would apply them. the course provides a lot of use cases which helps in understanding when/where you would use various techniques

1 Like

Hi,

The trick is to know just enough to be able to google the answer you need. There’s just too much out there and everything’s changing all the time anyway. It’s not like learning all the names of the bones in the human body. The IT-body grows new limbs all the time and it gnaws off others. It’s organs fuse with others, melt away or morph into new ones.
I like to use cheat sheets, I use them for terminology because that is vital when you are googling and there are few really good ones for grid and flexbox (don’t know if you’re already there)
When stuff is really new I make an overview : keyword - explanation - example. A horrible amount of work but I cannot resist the urge. I use that for a while and then it is discared, I keep a skeleton knowlege, just enough to work with.
That is really the key : you need to know the terminology so that your question gets you the answer you need. The details can always be looked up.
I’ve been walking around with THE IDEA for years now and slowly I’m piecing it together. The idea has grown together with my knowledge of programming. What I have learned has influenced the shape of the idea and the idea has shaped the learning choices I have made.
Try to be consistent and not leave too many time holes in between coding and practicing. Anyway, once you start working again you will notice that you need to relearn stuff but it all comes back quicker than it did the first time.

Greets,
Karin

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.