Goals & Progress Journal

Brand new to coding. I’m laying out my goals here to track for reference. I know others will see them and this will encourage me to keep them updated and will add some extra dimension of accountability.

After reading up on accounts of ppl that have finished the first 3 certs relative to their exp level, I’ve decided to set my goal at 1 cert per 2 weeks. The first week will be curriculum, and the second week will be dedicated to the cert projects.

I want to get the first six certs in 12 weeks. I’m starting on Monday (1/25). I will use this thread to track my progress.

4 Likes

Good luck on your journey. I would have some advice though. It’s hard to set goals for completion of different sections because they have different sizes and difficulties, and you may have different aptitudes for different subjects. While the first sections may be relatively easy, it’s not uncommon to need to take more much longer in later sections.

Of course it depends on how much time you can invest, but two weeks may be a bit aggressive, especially past the first couple of sections. I might suggest that a better approach would be to set goals as to how much time you’re going to spend.

Ultimately you can do what you want, but keep what I’ve said in mind and don’t beat yourself up if things start getting harder and that 2 week goal gets unmanageable.

4 Likes

I understand, thanks for sharing. I will change my approach if I need to.

First day was yesterday. Felt solid, focused.

I worked through Basic HTML, HTML5 and Basic CSS.

My goal today is to put in 3 hours and complete:

Applied Visual Design
Applied Accessibility
Responsive Web Design Principles

2 Likes

I hit my goal today and finished challenges thru Responsive Web Design Principles.

It’s a lot to take in and looked like hieroglyphics at first, but the logic is starting to make sense. I liked the animation challenges.

My goal tomorrow is to finish CSS Flexbox and Grid. I’m thinking I will be able to knock out the projects by the end of this week at my scheduled pace of 3-4 hours a day. This will put me a week ahead of schedule going into JavaScript, which seems like a good idea to me.

1 Like

Congrats on your progress so far.

Just remember that Javascript will be your first programming language.
So it is totally normal if it takes a little bit longer to complete than html and css.

Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

I hit my goals yesterday. I’m starting on the projects today for Responsive Web Design Cert.

1 Like

Last Friday I started the Personal Portfolio Page and got hung up on trying to do things outside of my league for rn. Paused it to restart simple then spent several hours over the weekend just practicing CSS and reviewing.

Today I finished the Tribute Page project. tbh I didn’t want to do it at all, personal stuff going on, but once I started, after about 30 mins everything else faded away and I was into the project and completed it.

At one point I was stuck for an hour trying to figure out why my image wasn’t resizing and responsive to the page width even tho I was sure what I entered was correct. I searched around on forums and couldn’t understand why it wasn’t working. Finally I just inspected the template page and wrote the css line-for-line and it still wasn’t working.

After an hour trying to debug I stepped away for a break and when I came back I quickly spotted the semicolon I was missing lol

Starting on the Survey Form project tomorrow.

1 Like

Haha yeah that happens to all of us.

I would also suggest sharing some of your projects with the forum so you can get feedback and a different perspective. :grinning:

Keep up the good work!

1 Like

I’ve been sticking to the routine everyday. I have 2 CSS projects left-over and will get to them later.

Started JS this week (monday) and my goal is to finish the Basic JS today. Will be working on it this weekend to see how far I can get. I anticipated JS taking longer and figured there would be shorter things in the future where I’ll be able to work ahead.

My 12 week goal still feels doable, I feel good about where I’m at and I feel like I’ve developed a habit.

I’m also using the MIMO app as a supplement and it complements the FCC curriculum and has been helping me.

JS seems easier to me than CSS, both are challenging to learn, but something about JS, I think it’s the logic and not so much aesthetics as CSS. idk but I’m digging it so far.

1 Like

I heard about something called the Fizz Buzz challenge and decided to tackle it in the console. Banged out the code, I went with else if chains. The first try ran successfully, but I only had Fizz Buzz showing up for numbers divisible by 3, 5, and 3 & 5. Spotted why in the dubug (I had 3 in parts of my logic where it should’ve been 5), fixed it and the code did what I wanted it to on the second run.

Feels good! heheh code is below:

var myArr = [];
var pushNext = 1;

function fizzBuzz () {

while (pushNext <= 100) {

if (pushNext % 3 === 0 && pushNext % 5 !== 0) {

myArr.push("Fizz");
             console.log(myArr);
             pushNext++;

} else if (pushNext % 3 !== 0 && pushNext % 5 === 0) {

myArr.push("Buzz");
              console.log(myArr);
              pushNext++;

} else if (pushNext % 3 === 0 && pushNext % 5 === 0) {

myArr.push("Fizz Buzz");
              console.log(myArr);
              pushNext++;

} else {

myArr.push(pushNext);
              console.log(myArr);
              pushNext++;
        }
    }

}
1 Like

Hey, this is great! Thanks for sharing your progress and challenges. It’s always nice to see fellow-travelers, and learn from their experiences and mistakes.

1 Like

Fizzbuzz is a good one. :grinning:
I usually solved it with a for loop.

for (let i=1; i < 101; i++){
    if (i % 15 === 0) console.log("FizzBuzz");
    else if (i % 3 === 0) console.log("Fizz");
    else if (i % 5 === 0) console.log("Buzz");
    else console.log(i);
}

Once you get to the algorithms section then you will start to do more of these coding challenges.

Keep on learning!

1 Like

JavaScript was smooth for me until I got into ES6 and Regex. Those slowed me down without a doubt. Disheartening and lost my stride there for about a week. Mind games started kicking in, motivation sagging, confusion. (Also, unexpected obstacles in my life came in the last two weeks: namely a week long winter storm where we were running on generators for half the week and, unrelated to the storm, a significant relationship of two years ended).

Anyways, I muscled my way through the material at a much slower pace and I’m about a week and a half behind my goals that I set now, but getting my confidence back working through the Debugging and Basic Data Structures. Motivation is coming back after reassessing my routine and looking at my progress over the past month.

Need to revisit Regex again and ES6 to wrap some things up and study a bit more. That was tough for me in comparison to the other things so far.

Next week is going to be all JavaScript again! I’m not giving up, I knew this would be difficult and I know it will be worth the time, effort, and perseverance. Cue Eye of the Tiger let’s go

1 Like

JavaScript was smooth for me until I got into ES6 and Regex.

Oh, I’m sure you’re not alone in that.

As to ES6, I’ve been debating whether or not it should be separate since most everything in ES6 is now just part of standard, modern JS. But yeah, it’s weird at first. One of the nice things though is that it is just a bunch of small things so it is easy to break it apart into different mini-topics. There are a lot of great videos out there.

As to regex, yeah, that’s even weirder and I certainly find it impenetrable at times. My approach has more been to be vaguely familiar with it and when I have a need, I do some google searches, spend some time on an online regex playground and figure it out. Remember that you don’t have to have everything memorized - it’s more important to be able to look things up. But as painful as regex can be, it is also incredibly powerful. I remember once doing a PR review for a junior coder and he had a couple dozen confusing lines to parse some data out of a complex string. I was able to find an elegant solution that did it in two lines using regex.

…and I’m about a week and a half behind my goals that I set now…

Again, don’t worry too much about your goals. There’s a line from an old movie, “A plan is just a list of things that aren’t going to happen.” There’s an old war saying, “No plan of operations extends with any certainty beyond the first contact with the main hostile force.” This usually gets shortened to, “No plan survives contact with the enemy.” Or as Jack Reacher says, “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.”

And how can you make a realistic plan if you don’t even know what is out there? It also assumes that all FCC challenges will take the same amount of time - they won’t, not even close.

I’m not saying it’s bad to have a plan - it can be a good motivator. But I also don’t want you to feel like you failed if it takes you longer to find a recursive solution to permutation than it did to turn the text red in the first section.

Keep working, keep motivated. I would just measure your progress in time spent and things learned, rather than an arbitrary standard of how fast you progress through material.

2 Likes

Most users’ approach to setting goals is pretty bad.

Example:
The Responsive Web Design Certificate has around 180 lessons and 5 projects.

The JavaScript Certificate has 280 lessons and 5 projects. 40 of the 280 lessons are full-blown algo challenges.

Did you think about this when you set your goals? Probably not. Many beginners go like this: “Oh, I needed 1 month for the RWD cert. Now I’m an expert and I will finish the JS cert also in 1 month.” Won’t happen, because the JS cert is way different than the RWD cert.

yes i anticipated some certs taking longer than others. my goal is after 12 weeks having a 2 week per cert average.