Got a CIS Associate's Degree, But

Hello (and thank you!) to all who take the time to read this.

I’ll try to make this short.

I quit my job a couple of years back to pursue a career in web development and went the associate’s degree route rather than bootcamp. I did well and have since graduated, but now that I’m job hunting, I’m getting the strong impression that what I’ve learned has done little to really prepare me for work in the field. I know a decent amount of vanilla JavaScript, PHP, CSS, and MySQL, and I worked my way through the free Laravel tutorial on Laracasts (and then used what I learned on a personal project), but Node.js, React, and Wordpress? Nope. And those are what I’m seeing in my area.

Now, I’m not opposed to simply pivoting and learning those (and I’ve been working hard on building a portfolio), but I’d like to know if thinking I can find work in the field with zero years of experience is unrealistic.

I ask because I may have an opportunity that involves some coding (no web dev) for a decent wage. I’m not very enthusiastic about it though, because I won’t be learning anything that really relates to what I’ve been trying to accomplish for the past two years. Also, I don’t see myself plugging away on the weekends with what this job will entail. Taking it would feel like giving up.

I’m fine with a job that pays less but provides opportunities for learning and growth. On the flip-side, I would like to be employed full time by the end of the year.

I should note that my art skills are awful, but I loved working through the logic for building my project’s database, so I think my potential lies in the backend. (Frontend work seems more prevalent here.)

In short, is it unrealistic to get an entry level position in web development in four months (putting in 30-40 hours a week) or should a just take what I can get?

Finally, thanks again for taking the time to read this!

1 Like

Hey there,

I think a CIS degree will help in your job hunt, but mostly in that you’ll have an easier time than others getting to the first phone interview stage. If you pass that round, you will most likely have a technical round and as you mentioned, if the job is asking for react, you’ll need to demonstrate your react skills by building something.

I think it is very much realistic to get an entry level position from where you are, but it would require some scoping to figure out exactly what career path you want to take, and to hone those specific skills for the interview. Once that’s figured, if you’re willing to put in the work, I think you are in a very good position! Good luck!

Feel free to message me directly if you want to discuss more

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the response, Hideaki!

I haven’t had much input from people in the field (and my classes were all fully remote, so interaction even with peers was non-existent), so I highly appreciate you giving yours.