Got a temporary job -- update: ballooned into longer term employment!

I was recently hired for a limited-term job at a web development company in Milwaukee, WI. It is mainly editing pages for a project with a tight deadline, but my foot is in the door of the web development field! The employer said I may be doing some work in HTML and CSS, and the majority of the work will be template-based on HubSpot.com and working with Photoshop.

This is just what I was looking for. I have been in a bit of a bind on FCC and felt as though I needed some impetus to keep moving forward in web development. I have my own website built, I have taken other courses that interest me through the Linux Foundation, Udacity, Udemy, and edX. I wanted to start getting paid is what I’m trying to say, even if it was just a little bit. It seemed like I was at that point. I am reminded of one of my favorite Jim Carrey quotes

“Life doesn’t happen to you, it happens for you!”

This will be only a week or two week long assignment, but I am hopeful and excited to see where it leads! I am always better off with some experience than no experience.

Also, I tried negotiating but I almost lost the job doing so. I think I over-asked when there was already a fair deal on the table. My skills are not jr. web developer yet though, so that is just my experience.

Thanks FCC for all the help!

Also, please check out my webpage https://jwolfgang.info.

5 Likes

Congrats!

Small jobs like these sometimes lead to repeat projects, that may be bigger/longer in scope, or an offer of a permanent position. Just do a great job no matter how trivial the work/project assigned to you.

Good Luck with That !
As you said Some experience is better then no experience!

Update — I ended up staying several weeks longer than I thought I would at the outset. My employer said this may turn into a full-time job depending on how well I do these next few weeks.

:grinning:

1 Like