Grid-column and grid-row how is the last column determined?

Hi All,
I’m trying to understand how it is/was determined in the challenge use-grid-row-to-control-spacing and the previous challenge, it was determined that 4 is the last two rows. Is there some kind of formulas used, or is it based on the area/size of the grid ?

I hope that question makes sense.
Thank you,
Scott

Hi, @sleblanc4869, welcome to the forum!
Could you please provide a link to the challenge? Thanks!

And

I’m trying to understand how the number 4 was determined for the last two rows ?
thanks,
scott

Sorry, I’m not quite understanding what you’re asking. Are you wondering why only 4 and 5 are on the bottom row?

Here’s an example:

* *grid-column: 1 / 3;* *

This will make the item start at the first vertical line of the grid on the left and span to the 3rd line of the grid, consuming two columns.

*Make the item with the class `item5` consume the last two columns of the grid.*

In the above example they use 1 and 3, but ask in the challenge to “consume the last two columns of the grid.” but without viewing the hint i’m not sure i would have known to use 2 and 4 for the values. How would i determine these values ?

i hope that makes sense.
thanks,
scott

Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 12.40.09 PM

When you say grid-column: 1 / 3; imagine a rectangle that starts at the first black line and reaches to the third black line, as box 4 does in the next picture.
Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 12.46.45 PM

grid-column: 2 / 4; on the other hand would start at the second line and stretch to the fourth, as shown by box #5.
Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 12.49.42 PM
Hope this makes sense :slight_smile:

I’ll have to read this a few times to be able to absorb it :smiley:

but thank you so much for the explanation.
thanks,
scott

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.