Hard time getting a developer job

I have applied to a lot of places but rarely ever hear back

edit: thanks for the feedback I will work on the things suggested.

1 Like

It’s really not all about your GitHub. Do you have something other than you GitHub page to offer? Perhaps a portfolio of some sort? If not, I would suggest that route first. Perhaps look into some kind of free hosting, or if you have the funding perhaps you could invest in a hosted site and build yourself a portfolio. Something personal to you, something that showcases some projects you’ve worked on. But mostly, something the showcases YOU! Your personality, your goals, your plans for the future. I find that a portfolio of this type is way better than a GitHub or even a regular resume. It also shows who you’re showing your portfolio to that you have skills enough to make a page like this!

1 Like

Job hunting is difficult, exhausting, and frustrating.

My thoughts on the experience

Your resume looks good for the most part. Some things that I noticed that could use improvement:

• Your name should be sized bigger, as it’s not very noticeable.
  • No LinkedIn profile is a red flag, you should set that up if you don’t have one. But if you do have one already, then provide the link to it.
  • Add your location as well (city & state).
  • Your Education section should be last, and not the first thing on the resume. I’d recommend putting your skills first.
  • A lot of the text content in your Experience section isn’t worded for maximum impact by the average reader—which is going to be recruiters and HR managers, not other developers. You should re-word most of it so that an average person can understand your work experience. Also, quantify any results that you achieved or accomplished—this is what recruiters and HR managers want to see, not a hum-drum list of some random things you did. Did something you accomplish result in something that got faster, or saved money? Put those numbers in your resume.
  • Never use the words “worked on/in/with” or “responsible for”. These are very vague and non-specific words, and don’t do anything to sell your abilities. Use this list to come up with action verbs instead: https://www.themuse.com/advice/185-powerful-verbs-that-will-make-your-resume-awesome
  • Limit each job in your work experience to use 3 bullet points at most, and you should use as concise wording as possible. There’s no need to write down everything you did at each job—just write down the points that are the most impressive.
  • The formatting on the Google Doc is off, so I assume that your resume is stored in a different file format (MS Word?). But make sure that your design & style is intentional and consistent, and similar elements should always line up vertically—for example, if you’re going to right-align your dates, then all of them should be cleanly right-aligned. It looks unsightly and sloppy when they’re not.
  • Your text seems to be sized a bit small. Make sure that you don’t use any font sizes below 12—anything smaller will end up frustrating a lot of people.
  • Your list of skills implies knowledge that’s across the map—front-end development clearly, but back-end (PHP/SQL) and Windows (Visual Basic and Studio) as well? You need a specific job-seeking strategy in this case—are you applying for front-end jobs? Back-end jobs? Microsoft stack jobs? In most instances, these all tend to be mutually exclusive when it comes to junior-level jobs. You’re going to have to pick one type of job to apply to, and then customize your resume to fit that type—pick front-end, back-end, or Microsoft/VB jobs, or data science if that’s your thing.
1 Like

I had the same dilemma, I was looking for a job for a long time till I found infopulse company, https://www.infopulse.com/services/infrastructure-management-services/cloud-integration-services/. Now I am working on one interesting project on cloud integration. I continuously develop my skills.