Hello fellow campers, noob here

Hello there,

Just wanted to introduce myself to the community. I’m a prospective career changer from 10yrs cooking. I’m hoping to use this platform as a legitimate way to change my circumstances and get a job one day outside of the kitchen.

I know it’s a long road ahead , I’ve spent some time here in previous years and finished up until the tribute page. This time isn’t much different other than the willingness to take a longer time to achieve my goals. (Before I cared more about the destination & therefore rushed a lot rather than the actual learning itself.)

I always wonder if I should go to school rather than to spend time on unaccredited certificates. At the same time I feel optimistic that experience trumps any degree and if I keep on trucking I will get results.

I used to program games as a kid using GameMaker and was even part of a team from Norway, so I think I have a good idea of what I’m getting into, I love being stumped on a problem and learning or googling my way out of it. I think if I were getting paid to do that I would be so so happy.

Anyways, if you have any words of wisdom please drop it on me, and to any other noobs out there feel free to reach out!!

1 Like

Yes, a degree would be more valuable. Should you do it? You have to answer that question yourself.

At the same time I feel optimistic that experience trumps any degree and if I keep on trucking I will get results.

True, and there are probably few fields where that is less true than in web development. That being said, without a degree will be harder/impossible to get. But there are also a lot of jobs where they don’t care - as long as you know what you’re doing and can show it. But I think there is an advantage to having a degree. Me, I didn’t have a CS degree and got a job - it is possible, but it is more difficult.

… love being stumped on a problem and learning or googling my way out of it. I think if I were getting paid to do that I would be so so happy.

Yeah, I tell people that I get paid big bucks to solve puzzles all day.

As far as words of wisdom… Just code every day, don’t give up, don’t get discouraged, and never stop learning and building things.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.