Help me please. I am student from non-engineering background. What should I do?

I am a student who is not from an engineering background but from science (Chemistry). I am currently pursuing my graduation (1st year now) from the Central University of Rajasthan, India. From my childhood itself, I was so excited to study coding, web, and app development but didn’t get a chance to do it. But now I am free here at home attending online classes from my university and coding in my free time. When I joined my university, I got a registration form where I need to fill 3 additional subjects that I should study along with Chemistry as my main. Some of the options were CS, Physics, English, Economics, and Statistics. When I saw see CS on that list, it triggered my childhood memories of learning how to code, which was resting for more than 10 years. I filled my form with CS as my 1st choice. After 2 months, I became very excited about programming. I started searching for online courses and ended up with Udemy. Started learning Python. Lasted for months. Finally got in touch with FreeCodeCamp. Completed Responsive Web Designing. Working on projects now. Now I am currently learning C, and C++ from my university, Web development for FreeCodeCamp, and completed learning Python for Udemy. I have 4 more years till I complete my MSc. in Chemistry. In this time period really want to improve my coding skills.

Finally, my question is that after completing the Front End Certification course, can I do freelance? Can I start a career in the coding field? If yes, where should I start from? Please help me.

You can’t just freelance by the fcc certifications but you have a lot of time to be comfortable in the field of programming. First thing I would suggest is to select a language to start to. Get comfortable with it. Create few projects with it. Then go to freelance websites to look for work related to your prog lang. FCC will just give you a head start in this field. You have to build on it and it will require you to invest TIME, a lot of it.

First of all, I don’t understand why you aren’t pursuing coding for your degree.

But you answer you:

Finally, my question is that after completing the Front End Certification course, can I do freelance? Can I start a career in the coding field?

The simplistic answer to both of those is that you can do freelance or get a job as soon as someone hires you. So the question isn’t whether it is probable.

I think getting freelance with only that one cert is a big stretch. There might be some easy HTML/CSS only freelance gigs out there, but there probably aren’t many and there is probably stiff competition. After the first 3 certs, it gets a little more possible - at least you have JavaScript and some libraries under your belt. Really, I say that people aren’t ready until they’ve completed the first 6 certifications and they’ve been building apps and learning for a year past that. But (imho) once you have the first 3-6 certs, you are getting into the “not utterly improbable” territory.

But it’s really hard to say without knowing what you can do and knowing for what kinds of jobs you would be applying.

This is all just pure conjecture, so take it with a grain of salt.

And just to be clear - there is nothing wrong with having a degree in another field. Some of the best coders I know have degrees in other STEM fields. Some have non-STEM fields - my degree is in music and I like to think that I’m a decent coder. It just always strikes me as odd when people post, “I’m getting a different degree. How do I become a coder?” I don’t understand why “switch degrees” isn’t the first instinct.

I don’t know - maybe you really like chemistry and want to do both. Maybe you’re thinking that web dev could be a side job while you study chem - but that short changes how much work and commitment it takes to become a good coder. And in all fairness, other cultures may not be as permissive of people switching career paths like that.

i don’t know, it just always strikes me as odd.

2 Likes

I always believe that pursuing anything that you are passionate about will make you successful…

As Kevin Smith said, other cultures may not be as permissive of people switching career paths like this. Remember that you may be doing a great thing, but you also must consider the job market. And your personal(time, money, know how) resources. Becoming a Developer is not an easy thing. If you want to pursue both (coding and chemistry, that’s OK, put the additional effort, and go thinking from now, in the medium term Milestones that you want to accomplish.
And, in addition, since you are studying a Quantitative subject, you could consider the Data Science path, is more related with chemistry, and even if you do not work in it, Machine Learning, could make you a better researcher and a better scientist.
Hope this orientation helps, the decision is yours, best wishes.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.