Help Needed With Exercise : Countdown Using Recursion

Tell us what’s happening:
I’ve written the below code for the countdown by recursion exercise. When I run tests, it tells me that countdown(5) should give me [5,4,3,2,1]. But that’s exactly what the output is. Right below the error, I see [5,4,3,2,1] printed on the console. It tells me countdown(10) should give me [10,9,8,…,2,1]. Again, that’s exactly what I get when I test the function for n=10.

Where am I going wrong?

Your code so far

//Only change code below this line
var myArr = [];
function countdown(n){
if (n<=0) {
  return [];
} else {
  myArr.push(n);
  countdown(n-1);
  return myArr;
}
}
console.log(countdown(5)); // [5, 4, 3, 2, 1]

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_3) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/13.0.5 Safari/605.1.15.

Challenge: Use Recursion to Create a Countdown

Link to the challenge:
https://www.freecodecamp.org/learn/javascript-algorithms-and-data-structures/basic-javascript/use-recursion-to-create-a-countdown

Your code contains global variables that are changed each time the function is run. It has not a great impact in freecodecamp as each test is executed separately, but you have already a function call in your editor, subsequent tests start with the current value of myArr. In Free Code Camp you can just delete the function call in the editor, but you should anyway make sure your function doesn’t change any global variables, and declare/assign variables within the function if they need to be changed, as in real projects you have not the protected environment found here.

Example:

var myGlobal = [1];
function returnGlobal(arg) {
  myGlobal.push(arg);
  return myGlobal;
} // unreliable - array gets longer each time the function is run

function returnLocal(arg) {
  var myLocal = [1];
  myLocal.push(arg);
  return myLocal;
} // reliable - always returns an array of length 2
1 Like