Help to figure out my learning to code plan

Hi all
I’m wanting to make a learning plan but a bit stuck on where to start. I’m a newbie with some html and css knowledge. I’m an artist (video, sound and performance) who collaborates with a jazz musician - we’ve been delivering co-creative projects alongside people living with dementia and their carers. I want to create a program to support co-creation, to enable users to work together to create work from their image, video and sound inputs. It will need to have a simple interface and be highly accessible to a wide range of people. All of our projects are on hold indefinately due to Covid and I now have piles of time. Where should I start? What do I need to learn? Any help or pointers gratefully embraced.
Cheers
Emma

HI @emma_fife !

Welcome to the forum!

I think you will receive more responses to your post if you expand more on your project and the type of features it should have.

Like here for example:
Will users log into the site and share media files and edit them?
Are users taking their media files and creating new videos from them?

I guess I am just a little bit fuzzy on the concept.
So the more information you can provide the better.

Thanks!

Hi @jwilkins.oboe

Thanks for getting back on this. I want the program to be accessible offline (as there’s no guarantee of internet where it’ll be being used). So I guess it’s a program that can run on a local machine rather than a website. I would want the user(s) to have the option of connecting to the internet, though, as this would enable remote collaboration and co-creation (jamming) where they do have internet access. I want the user to add their media files and manipulate them with a limited range of variables (size, position, opacity, for example) then output this as a video file or take a snapshot and output this as a still image file.

I’m not sure about what devices I want to make this for (and I guess that’s an important question). I kind of want people to be able to use a computer and also phones/tablets. Then I’m talking about building two things (as it needs to be a thing that works on a local maching not through a website). In which case, I’d need to decide on what to build first.

I hope this clarifies things a bit? Thanks for asking me these questions, it’s helping me to think and talk more clearly about what I want to do.

Cheers

Emma

When it comes to offline applications you have choices. You can build applications using languages that are designed for this purpose and can run most efficiently as installed applications. Editing video, sound, and image files can be resource intensive so this would make sense. The downside of this approach is that you can’t do a “one size fits all” single program. You need to know what types of devices you are targetting. If it will only be used on computers, for example, there is some work involved in making it run on all operating systems, but not a ton. If you want a native app for tablets and phones though, you will probably have to re-write your application in additional languages.

A popular emerging technology is to write applications as web apps that can run on the device without an internet connection. You probably have some of these on your computer. They open like “normal” applications, but are written in JavaScript. The advantage of these is portability. The disadvantage is efficiency. These can be a bit slower and use a disporoportionate amount of computer resources.

Hi @ArielLeslie

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I think amajor decision for me will be which device(s) to make something for first. I err towards making something that can run on a computer first, as this will allow the user more options for inputting media. An app for phone/tablet would then be a simplified version in terms of what the user can do.

I’m going to put out some feelers with my potential audience to see what platform they’d like to use the resource on.

In terms of creating a program for computer, are there particular languages that lend themselves to multi-media work so I can look into them further?

Thanks again for your help with this.

Cheers

Emma

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.