Help with Career options

I am asking for a guy I just met last week, we met at our new job. He is from Algeria and back home he was working as an electrical engineer. Being in the US for around a year and a half he has been trying to get a job in his field with no success. He has experience programming using Java and C#. I told I was going to try to help to see if he could find a job in his field or at least something related. I think the main issue he has is that he didn’t graduate in the US and barely knows anyone. Can anyone help me find some career options for him?

well I think when it comes to programming, the school form which graduated doesn’t matter much. i think he can start with applying for jobs at upwork. there is quite a number of programming related jobs. for example, my first job was ordered by the admin of this website which at that time didn’t look like one with perspectives but after i did the job, i’ve got good feedback which helped me with getting another job and then another and later i was offered a job in our local tech company. anyways, i think upwork could be just the right place for him to build his portfolio. also, i think if he’s good, he can get a job in a startup (it’s way easier to get a job there rather than in a huge corporation)

1 Like

I’d try to be a consultant since he has programming experience and domain knowledge as a electrical engineer. Try some global companies that are more likely to recognize his international work experience and willing to do some quick training, Accenture, Wipro, Infosys, IBM, TSystem just to name a few. It’d help to have a strong resume though, also try to go to networking event for opportunities.