Hey, so I’ve been trying to learn JavaScript for over a year and I need help

I’ve tried all the learning methods: books, articles, video tutorials, MDN, googling things. I’ve even built several entire working games from YouTube tutorials. But every time I sit down and try to make something from my own head, I can’t get the code to do what I want it to. I think I’ve identified the issue, but I don’t know how to fix it.

I’m the kind of learner that has to understand all the parts of a system or the big picture doesn’t make any sense to me. Like, I learned about member operators a few weeks ago (on which there is shockingly little information out there) and it totally changed my view of how JavaScript works. So I’ve been looking to find out the names of every piece of JavaScript I see and what that category of operator or whatever does, and I just don’t have a clue how to find that information because I don’t know how to phrase it or have a complete picture of how many different categories there are.

People only ever seem to say there are objects, functions, variables, and methods. But there’s so much more underneath that! Help?

This is completely normal, as it’s much easier to make projects while following along tutorials. If I had to give a suggestion, just find one really good course (freeCodeCamp provides many for several different languages :slight_smile: ) or lesson that you find high-quality and beneficial. Although if you need help on a specific topic, don’t hesitate to try a google search. Just make sure you understand the topic afterwards.

Don’t be discouraged, errors happen all the time to even the most experienced devs! I’ve had errors that took me weeks to fix in the past, and sometimes I would get frustrated. It’d take me a few days to learn the topic, and I would occasionally have to relearn it multiple times. It’s all fine though, practice helps you get better. Googling helps a lot, or asking members of the coding community for explanations works as well. By the way, maybe consider talking out loud to yourself (or a rubber duck :slight_smile: ) about what you need help understanding. Pretend your helping someone else understand the topic. If you need some help yourself, do some research and try again.

There are more, but much like many skills in life (walking, reading, typing), you only get better as time passes. Keep at it, and you’ll see tremendous growth in your programming knowledge.

Once again, always feel free to ask questions in forums such as this! There are many people here who would be more than happy to help you.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.