Hi, guys! Here it is my little story

I’m Mike, 22 y.o., and this is my topic. I’m from Russia and my goal is to change profession into web-programmer in a really short period of time. I’ve been learning CSS, HTML, Git, Markdown for 1,5 month and the next step is JS, but I do not know where to start. Big amount of information is confusing me, and this is the problem, I do not know how to systematize a learning process. Can you help me with it?

I wanna tell you my story how I decided to change a profession. I graduated the institute as an economist in July 2020. It was so excited for me, because secondary-vocational education, after that a bachelor, but when I got the Diploma my first thought was “Where I would work”. I couldn’t find a job for so long, and I asked my mum to help me with it, and she told me that on her factory was a vacancy for a longshoreman. I’ve got it and worked there for 2 month, because one bank sent me an offer to try myself on interview. After a while I stood for 2 trial days at the bank, after which I wrote to the bank manager that I would like to work for them, to which she said that I had to take a Covid test. I agreed, but she never told me where and when they will do this test, although she said before that she applied for the test and I will be contacted by the bank. After that I asked my mom for help again, and there was an opening for a manager. To be honest I didn’t like working here, I was looking for vacancies on different sites for a long time, but the only thing that stuck out to me was web programming and programming in general, although I didn’t have anything to do with programming before that. After that everything was happening in my head and I decided for myself, that I want to completely change the profession, and even if for this I will have to make a lot of effort.

At the beginning of April I went for an interview to one of the local IT companies, they are engaged in creating websites from scratch. They liked me a lot, but I failed the entrance tasks, because they were mostly taken from the state exam in computer science, which is written at the end of the last year of school. But they said that they were ready to talk to me at least in a month, but I need to tighten my knowledge of HTML, CSS, JS, also to solve problems in arithmetic and logic. So I decided for myself that by mid-July I should be ready for the interview.
This company is good because they have their own academy, where they teach for free for 3 months, after which they are guaranteed to take on the staff. But the difficulty is that they give only one attempt per deadline, which includes both theory and practice. That is, if you did not pass the theory, but did the assignment and vice versa, you are expelled. This company is the best threshold of entry into the IT field for me personally, as a person who does not have a certain education.

Unfortunately in my hometown there are no work at all, you can be applied just if you have some good links and people, or maybe your parents can help with it.

I’ve been learning CSS, HTML, Git, Markdown for 1,5 month…

That’s not a lot of time.

…and the next step is JS, but I do not know where to start.

Why not on the first JS lesson? People keep asking this question - I don’t understand why they don’t assume to start on the first lesson, here.

Big amount of information is confusing me, and this is the problem

Yep, we’ve all been there. In web dev, there is a lot of information. The good news is that you don’t have to memorize it all. You should learn what the language can do and get really good at looking up the details. The basics of the language you’ll need in your memory, the a lot of the specific little details I just look up if I can’t remember them. If I can’t remember if the JS operator delete returns anything, I just google “mdn delete” and find out. (MDN is an organization with really good JS documentation - very cool.)

And keep in mind that JS is a big step up from HTML and CSS. Those are rather simple scripting languages, whereas JS is a full fledged programming language. Learning JS is harder. I don’t say that to discourage you, but so that you don’t feel bad if things slow down.

I do not know how to systematize a learning process

People really worry about this. I don’t think there is a perfect process. Certainly there are wrong ones, but there are many right approaches. Just code every day, and keep learning and building things. Try to follow a path, be it FCC or something else. You can take little side trips if you need, but try to stay on that path. I also used to supplement with light reading at night about what I was learning - if I was working on sorting JS arrays, at night I would get out my tablet at night and see what other people said about it in blogs or videos.

This company is good because they have their own academy, where they teach for free for 3 months, after which they are guaranteed to take on the staff.

I don’t know the details but that sounds like a good opportunity. There is always the chance that they will take advantage of you by paying you less, but after a few years experience, it won’t matter because it will be much, much easier to get a job. If it takes a few tries to get in, it might be worth it to get a foot in the door. And you’re still learning as you get ready for the test. It’s a win/win.

Hopefully you made a list of everything they tested you on. Some of the theory stuff might not be covered in FCC, but I’m sure you can find someone in the internet explaining it.

1 Like

I totally agree with you that it’s a good opportunity to start learning JS on this site, especially since I found it today by chance from a Russian blogger. Just thought maybe someone know similar sites with courses.

I can leave a link to the site about this company and their academy, you can check it. (1.https://www.dunice.net/ru; 2. https://www.edu.dunice.net)

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.