Hi, has anyone ever finished the javascript portion of FCC?

Hello, so I just finished my html/css projects a few weeks ago, now I’m doing (trying) JS, and I’m about to lose all my hair from the stress. The fact that FCC seems to avoid teaching the academic side of things doesn’t help in a highly conceptual subject. Well before this turns into a rant, any tips for someone with no coding background except html/css?

Google is indeed my friend, unfortunately FCC barely defines any terms and/or jargon. Basically it’s hard to google the terms you don’t know. For example if I’m trying to refer (call?) the value of a property in an object and try googling those terms, a whole lot of different things show as a result because I have absolutely no clue why.

Am I supposed to read something else while doing this??

1 Like

You can access properties of an object with dot notation.
e.g.
user.address.street

Post your code and maybe we can help you out

This is from the basic profile lookup along with the solution from the Hint

//Setup
var contacts = [
{
“firstName”: “Akira”,
“lastName”: “Laine”,
“number”: “0543236543”,
“likes”: [“Pizza”, “Coding”, “Brownie Points”]
},
{
“firstName”: “Harry”,
“lastName”: “Potter”,
“number”: “0994372684”,
“likes”: [“Hogwarts”, “Magic”, “Hagrid”]
},
{
“firstName”: “Sherlock”,
“lastName”: “Holmes”,
“number”: “0487345643”,
“likes”: [“Intriguing Cases”, “Violin”]
},
{
“firstName”: “Kristian”,
“lastName”: “Vos”,
“number”: “unknown”,
“likes”: [“JavaScript”, “Gaming”, “Foxes”]
}
];

function lookUpProfile(name, prop){
// Only change code below this line
for (var x = 0; x < contacts.length; x++){
if (contacts[x].firstName === name) {
if (contacts[x].hasOwnProperty(prop)) {
return contacts[x][prop];
} else {
return “No such property”;
}
}
}
return “No such contact”;
// Only change code above this line
}

// Change these values to test your function
lookUpProfile(“Kristian”, “likes”);

I’m trying to understand WHY this works. I feel like I’ve been trudging along without really learning anything.

Hey @kinopotato,

First, congratulations on this.
Well Done.

Happens with everyone.
Although FCC is great on its own, supplementing it with a few other resources could really help you.
One of the things i would recommend is :

It’s an over-all computer science course and it provides a great introduction to how things really work in programming languages.
(Bonus: It’s free)

MDN could also be of great help.

Do not get sad or overwhelmed when you do not get the concepts. This happens with everybody.
Just do not give up. Things will eventually start falling in place.

Apart from this, you can always post questions here on forum and there are people who will be more than willing to help you.
This community has been of great help to me in learning JavaScript.
And since you asked, i finished the JAVASCRIPT ALGORITHM and Data structures Certificate a few days ago and still learning.

Happy coding. :grinning:

1 Like

Do you still have hair? xD Thanks for the resources, I’m studying FCC full time because I’m trying to finish the javascript section (along with the projects) within two months. That was the plan but now I don’t know if that’s possible even with 8 hours a day spent in learning.

Also, dude congratulations as well, if you still have hair then there may still be hope for me just yet.

1 Like

Hi @kinopotato!
I know exactly what you mean - I pretty much went through the same thing, though when I was still actively doing the JavaScript portion of FCC, it was still the old curriculum, which had a lot less lessons and explanations than the new one. Either ways, gone were the days when you could throw in a few header tags and create magic with them by sprinkling some CSS on to of it. JavaScript is where the actual programming part begins.

That was when I realised that, at least for me, I wasn’t going to get far just by sticking to FCC’s lessons on JavaScript. I looked through other resources to learn more and that helped A LOT. MDN’s JavaScript tutorials and docs, as well as StackOverflow will eventually become your best friends, especially once you get used to a few of the technical terms. Other than that, reading through resources like Javascript.info and YDKJS will give you a solid understanding of JavaScript and its concepts, with good examples. I highly recommend giving them a try! There’s also a few youtube channels like LearnCode.academy which can also help you along the way.

I’m still also a beginner like you, and the resources above are just a few that I found useful! My last advice is to not give up and keep going forward with a positive attitude!

Happy Coding!
1 Like

Thanks dude! I’m looking at all the resources. I wanted to do MDM after I get a hang of Javascript and do both FCC and MDM at the same time, the plan was I would be a bit more advanced in FCC and would “relearn” everything in MDM for mastery. I can barely do basic Javascript section so I don’t know if my plans are still good xD Thanks again for the resources, I’ll check them out, I kind of have to check them out. haha. Before I lose my hair!

It is possible, just be determined and do not give up and continue learning.

Btw, i have still got my hairs :wink:

P.S.: Whenever you need help with any of the Freecodecamp challenges, use the “Ask For Help” button on your challenge page. It gives the link to the challenge as well as posts the code properly here on forum.

Thanks man, you see I was under the impression that you shouldn’t press that ask-for-help button and I don’t think I had to with html/css. The switch to Javascript is jarring to say the least and I’ve been having to press Hint every two seconds. :expressionless: Anyway, thanks again for the resources, I’ll be sure to check them out! :smiley:

1 Like

I’m reading this again now, and boy am I dumb.

You are not dumb, you just learned more between when you wrote that and now

well it sure doesn’t help that FCC didn’t bother to include proper help for the JavaScript section, especially video tutorials. Really pissed me off.

FreeCodeCamp is user powered, it means that if something is not there then there has not been yet a user doing that thing

Yeah, it’s pissing you off, that volunteers who work 40-60hrs per week in their daytime jobs don’t spoon-feed you by shooting video tutorials for you for free. Maybe you should think about your attitude and your gratitude towards these volunteers.

Thanks for the link to computerscience Harvard.