High Schooler who wants a job at a big tech company

Hi,
I’m currently a junior in high school and want to get a job at a big tech company such as Google at Facebook. I already have a decent amount of programming experience and have been to and won a couple of hackathons. I would like to know what courses will teach me what I need to know before applying to these companies.

If a college education is a valid option for you, I strongly encourage you to consider it. While these companies do hire people without degrees, they hire a lot more people straight out of college and the path to being a self-taught developer is a hard one.

2 Likes

You can also get an early leg up on learning computer science by taking Harvard’s CS50X on edX (https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-harvardx-cs50x) right now.

The other recommendation I’d make is get together with some coding buddies and start making apps together.

Also I think this previous post of mine (on applying to FAANG companies) might be relevant to you: What is the best way to get your resume selected for interviews? - #16 by astv99

1 Like

Has anyone talked with you about design? I am concerned that they are teaching young people about how to code without teaching them about design.

It depend upon what you mean by ‘design’. I assume you mean project planning rather than visual design? Architecting a piece of software is a hard skill, and it helps to understand the basics of how to program before you leap into designing projects. I’d recommend crawling and walking first.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.