How are some people able to get jobs within months?

You already sound as if you are employable. If you are uncertain of this, complete the following course and you will be ready.

2 Likes

Yep, that’s probably a big one. As an interviewer (in an unrelated field) I can tell you that the potential candidate’s actual skills are secondary to who they present themselves as (who they appear to be at least - you can’t really know a person in a 1-hr interview but you get a pretty good idea of their personality). The reality is that employers will hire people they like. And that’s not a reflection on the person necessarily but a reflection on the chemistry between the two or three or four people in the interview. This is a problem for those who have the skills but may not be very good at interviews.

2 Likes

@geekysmurf Well, even though I’m following one of P1xt’s guides and have went through a ton of resources, I still don’t really have many projects to put on my portfolio and resume. I’m following the guide strictly, and as per P1xt’s advice, I’ll start applying once I finish Tier 2 of the guide I’m following, in order to be sure I’m job ready with a proper portfolio. As for The Web Developer Bootcamp, I had finished the front end section before I found FCC, at which point I decided to stick to the guide.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, what is this guide you speak of?

@AmirF27 What and where is this guide so I can check it out?

Also, here are some links for project ideas.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

The guides by P1xt are structured pathways that a member put together, which many of us here are doing because its made of of many sources (inc FCC of course) and incredibly comprehensive. There are 3 different guides, just depends on your goals which one you choose. There are 4 in total…just do a search for P1xt guide and youll find them all.

https://forum.freecodecamp.com/t/computer-guide-get-job-ready-with-1-fcc-cert-3-projects-2-courses-and-10-books/64027

https://forum.freecodecamp.com/t/computer-guide-web-development-with-computer-science-foundations-comprehensive-path/64516

@AmirF27 I’m one of the people who got a job within a couple of months after I joined an intensive 9 week actual bootcamp in Ruby on Rails. It was not a cheap bootcamp though, but because I’ve invested my savings in it, I gave it all my energy and focus. I could have done it by myself online but I tend to procrastinate if I work on my own pace so it would have taken longer. I actually learned about freecodecamp from that bootcamp I paid money for (ironic). In fact, one of my bootcamp tutors was asking us to do the JS course in Freecodecamp, so don’t think a paid bootcamp will make a big difference (it just pressures you to do a lot more work each day).

This was all very recent. I actually come from a different background with a degree in chemical engineering, so I didn’t have any clue on programming or web development. Due to a lot of circumstances, I’ve been unemployed for a long while. And I wouldn’t have considered programming had I stayed in my previous career. I went to a startup weekend once (around this time last year) and I was inspired by the way the developers who had the technical abilities to create working prototypes of useful business ideas within just 48 hours. By Autumn I joined this bootcamp and we created stuff and a full app as well as a graduation project.

So how did I get a job you ask?

We can eliminate “personal” networking, I am living in a foreign country and I don’t know anyone here. However, the bootcamp institute does have networking and because they have graduated other successful students, employers tend to reach to them to ask for fresh developers (most of these employers are start-ups). Just for information, more than half of the people taking this bootcamp are from different backgrounds, not CS.

So hard work, ofcourse plus dedication. We focused mainly on our graduation project app (it was a team project), as the bootcamp institute invites employers to the presentation day. I later got a couple of interview-offers from startups. I know a person who was in my batch that got hired within a week. In the end I still applied for jobs, and I managed to join a small sized international company which programs in Java mainly (different from the RoR I had learnt in the bootcamp)… so I’m learning a lot everyday in this job. But its a really great company and team members that teach you different stuff.

But here is the situation: the bootcamp institute can help you get to the interviews stage or help you with contacts to use when applying for jobs. Or alternatives to the bootcamp is the people you meet in Meetups, hackathons and startup events (they are mostly good for networking). But beyond all of them, if you apply here and there, and someone invites you over, it really depends on you passing the interview. So this is the second part to how to get the job in the interview.

1. unless you lied in your application and claimed to have created non-existent apps or worked in complex frameworks , the employer knows and expects to be interviewing someone in a junior level. If you made it to the interview stage it means you have passed the initial screening tests. So you are still good.
    So, they might ask you tricky questions but they are gauging your way of thinking not experience, so definitely the complexity of technical questions will be less. If you have 2 years experience in something, then they will ask you more to feel the depth of that experience. If you have less, they will ask you less complex questions.

2. Speaking of the way of thinking, its how you approach a problem, how you attempt to solve it, how to validate your own approach and also how to say that you don’t know about something but it does sound similar to something you might have known. These are all thinking skills but also the way you show them on your interview will depend on your self-marketing skills. Similar to what @Soupedenuit said.

3. Companies would ask you on how do you develop your programming skills more. So, for example my company told me (after I already started my job) they also thought that people who dedicated time and money to bootcamps shows they are more committed to developing themselves more. However, it doesn’t matter if its for money or for free, what matters is progress!!! For example, showing them your progress in FreeCodeCamp is really a good thing. But saying that you love learning about front end, and then they ask you ’ tell us what did you learn’, and you reply back ‘I just joined this online course last week’ is not a good way to show you have been improving your skills. And ofcourse having a portofolio is very useful. Like a github account where all the small snippets you code could be uploaded there and saved for reference. Your prospective employers won’t read your code line by line, but if you compare two applicants, one has no activity on github and one has at least 10 to 20 repo on github (even if they are small code files), who would you choose. Remember a company would also hire a developer that would contribute to the growth of their knowledge base and teach other team members from their own background and experience.

So, bottom line, don’t wait till you reach that “prepared stage”, no one is ever prepared, and the more you learn about something, the more you will realise you still need to learn more about this thing and more about this other thing etc… So, give it a go now and apply (or attend some events and network to have more contacts), if you get it well, you save time and you learn more programming while being paid, if you don’t at least you get more experience with the interviews and types of companies in the market and how to better place your learning path and self-marketing to such companies. Good luck!

9 Likes

@tindrew @geekysmurf The guide I’m talking about is P1xt’s Web Dev with Computer Science guide. Thanks for the links @geekysmurf ! Will check them out. :smiley:

1 Like

I understand what you mean. But I think that people learn at different speed. Another factor is that some people feel more confident than other.
That said, being a Developer doesn’t only involve being able to code (this is indeed, in my opinion, the easiest part). In the most cases you will have to prove communication, decision making, time management or leadership skills. Sometimes I just wish to sit and code (and get stuff done), but it’s not that easy. Moreover from the mere technical point of view although it’s not my field of expertise I had to learn some devops stuff (like CI/CD, terraform, AWS, etc…) that I couldn’t have practiced on my own. That’s why I think, once one has the basis , she should be looking for a job. The sooner one starts, the better. There’s plenty​ of stuff you learn while working and the upside is… You’re paid for it :slight_smile:

I got a job after 8 to 9 months of really dedicated learning. I roll my eyes when I read stuff like get a developer job in 3 months…The sheer amount of content one must know for this kind of job is just too much to cover in such little time. Within 8 to 9 months of 8 to sometimes 10 hours a day of studying I was ready to be a Junior, was i prepared for the problems I face on a daily basis? Not at all, i learn on the fly and I have to improvise and create new solutions daily, I don’t think you are ever fully ready. I think you are ready to apply for jobs when you have touched a lot of things and things start to relate to each other but you cannot know everything, it’s impossible.

This past month I had to implement a payment system on a prestashop website, there’s no course for that you just have to use Google and learn on the spot. Or in another instance I had to change or rearrange the related products showing in a Woocommerce site, again, I never studied or learned how to do that, just to name a few but I face stuff like that daily.

3 Likes

Good insight into a real world job. One thing I wish to see more of is developers giving concrete examples of their daily tasks at work. I understand no two days are the same, but being specific on just a few of those things are valuable to those of us trying to understand the job as a whole. And I agree with you about how some developers get jobs in only three months or so. Honestly, good for them, but I personally would feel like a burden to the business because I would have such a minute foundation of knowledge. But to each their own; we all learn differently and some of us just got a little more luck.

Great idea. I’ll try to make a post.

2 Likes

I gave some more examples in this post if you are interested:

3 Likes

Your story is so amazing! I’m also self-taught and I just started learning JS a month ago. My goal is finding a frontend developer job and I hope I can do it. My background has nothing to do with computer but I realized I always wanted to do web development and I believe it’s never too late to start :slight_smile:

The most intellectually brilliant person in the world could have all the knowledge of something, but could also be the kind of person that few people want to work with (no offense intended but Bill Gates comes to mind there, as he was infamously difficult to work for/with when he was running Microsoft—and Steve Jobs was infamously difficult to work with as well, btw).

You kind of disproved your own point. Bill Gates and Steve jobs are two of the most successful people in software engineering history.

A few cents on this topic:

People who are getting a job quickly:

• Have previous code background and started FCC as brush up or/and
  • Are Networking (Dev Meetups, code meetups, classes) or/and
  • Taking other classes or bootcamps concurrently or/and
  • Start applying sooner rather than later or/and
  • Were already in a technical field and transitioned to dev (ie: IT to dev)

Having said that, this isn’t a race. Concentrate on what is comfortable for you. You can apply sooner, but you will be more successful the more you know and practice. Check the job boards, there are few posts from folks learning what they should have done before they got the job that they didn’t have.

urm…Steve Jobs was an idea man and salesman. He was good at seizing on an idea and finding the people who could make it happen…Woz was the tech.

Point still stands. The guy had abysmal habits and drove his subordinates insane.

Yet even without working on people skills or having any to speak of he was able to massively succeed due primarily to brilliance, ambition and ability to capitalize on opportunity.

count the hours not the months: for me, it took a few thousand hours of coding to get it (3K+)