How can I make it hard for a company to say "no" to remote work?

How can I make it hard for a company to say "no" to remote work?
0.0 0

We all know that most companies prefer their developers to work in house, especially the juniors. Being from the US and living abroad it’s just not an option for me.

So I want to approach this problem a bit differently and ask what makes a developer irresistible to turn down? I’ve heard at the seniormost level there is a shortage of talent. Can we break this down further? What does a 15 year developer have that makes him absolutely irresistible to a company?

And can a FCC graduate who does the full curriculum complete with a wall of portfolio items start to develop a “must have” skillest for employers, or is this still woefully short?

Great tips! The recruiter one was especially golden for me. Sure they take a slice but they are also your own sales staff who work straight commission to sell you. I’ll definitely create a nice list of them!

I am a junior developer who currently works remotely. I received the job after applying to A TON of remote programming positions. One of the biggest aspects of proving your programming ability is to show your portfolio and prove you can do the work. The second is prove that you can effectively and efficiently work from home. I stared off as an online tutor which my current employer said helped them feel I knew how to work from home and they could trust me. So yeah, build your resume and portfolio, and then try looking for jobs that are specifically remote.

Best of luck!

Congratulations on your success! I do have freelance experience as a writer so maybe that will help.

When you say you applied to a ton of places, would you ballpark it in the low hundreds or high hundreds (or even more? I hope not!)

Wow, that’s some elephant memory they have! I’ll be sure to work inside a CRM like SuiteCRM to keep notes on everyone!

Remote work may be harder to pull off if you haven’t already been employed with a company. But it’s certainly not impossible.

That being said, one thing that makes a 15 year developer more ‘critical’ is his/her knowledge that benefits the company bottom line. Let’s say that a developer becomes an expert on maintaining and enhancing a product that is very valuable to a company. Then it would be very costly to let him/her go since he/she is able to resolve issues faster and save money in the long run. In this case, he could definitely use this leverage to ask for a flexible schedule.

‘Subject matter expert’ is one term I have heard it called.