How do change job from application support to data analyst

I have been working in application support for 14 years now and want be a data analyst and in reporting field because whenever I want to change jobs they keep asking for technical skills even though we would have worked only on the application side of it. How do I switch job to being a data analyst as I’m interested in reporting and data visualization ?

Quick history: customer service > QA > analyst/product owner > database analyst/developer > data visualization > full stack web developer all at the same company.

Skills: Having done the job, my two biggest skills were SQL and Tableau. It didn’t hurt that I could also create SSIS packages to get the data I needed or create stored procs/views/tables etc.

How to get skills: You can install Microsoft SQL Server for free and create your own database. Last I remember, you could also install Tableau for free. Any reports you created could only be published publicly but that could be your portfolio. Can even use publicly available data.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.