How do I save my progress on freecodecamp.org?

Is there a way I can save my progress when needing to switch devices? Or if I need to power down a device?

1 Like

There are two different types of progress being saved going on at Free Code Camp: your profile and your browser cache.

Your completed challenges are all saved to your account in the FCC database. You can see the list of completed challenges and also the last submitted solutions by looking at your profile page.

Your progress tracking (map) is saved in your browser’s local storage. In-progress code is also saved in your local browser cache. If you are changing browsers or clearing your cache regularly you’ll have to use freecodecamp.com/map to navigate to your next challenge. Especially as you get to more complicated challenges that may take multiple sessions, I strongly recommend saving your in-progress work outside of the browser cache. This is a good opportunity to learn the ins and outs of your GitHub account, but you can also just save locally or use a service like repl.it which allows for versioning.

What if you clear your browser cache? (which I do regularly)

I’ve just had to re-do the whole entry level HTML course, which I don’t mind as repetition helps me learn but I don’t want to have to do it again, and again!

There is no reason why you would have to repeat anything, regardless of your browser cache or how many different computers you use. As I said above, if you are logged in to your account and you are submitting your solutions, then it is recorded in your account that you completed those challenges. What is not saved is the code that you solved each challenge with.