How do you manage your knowledge you've learnt?

I’ve been being in love with programming since the first time I knew it. I mean, it’s amazing that we can give command to computer and it does what we want (not always, I know)
But I find myself not a creative person. I have learnt some basic things, I have a target in my mind: okay, I want this and this. But when it came the time to build it. I was stuck. I don’t know how to manage my knowledge.
It’s like I have many lego bricks in a bag, I imagine: I’m gonna make a cool space ship, but then: how do I even start?
Is programming world suitable for me?

4 Likes

I am like you, I am not a creative person that’s why we need to see a blueprint of how to make things, understand how they are made and then make it. repeat this process as long as you need it, hopefully, at the end you won’t need the blueprint because you got the knowledge to do it by your self.

5 Likes

It comes with practice. The best advice I’ve heard is to break a big problem into little pieces and solve them one at a time.

7 Likes

Thanks for the tips. But, does it really help to increase our creativity by seeing people works and trying to build the same thing?

1 Like

Thank you. Could you give practical example for this?

1 Like

I think so , I may be wrong but if you have a goal to achieve like an Android app and you don’t know how to start its because you don’t have the base needed it to do it, when you know how to do it you can modify that app in the way you want it, now you are using your creativity.

think about it, you have your own signature made by you creativity but think how many times did you try to have the one you are using right now? and in addition you had to learn how to write first

1 Like

I’m guessing you’re doing the random quote machine. You can break it into these parts: a place to display a quote, a button that refreshes it, and a button that lets you post it to Twitter. Based on that, when I was doing it, I wrote something like this in my JavaScript tab.

//create the user interface
  //write the HTML
  //style it to your liking
//when the user clicks the refresh button
  //get a new quote (make an API request with jQuery)
  //update the HTML (and the Twitter link)
//when the user clicks the Twitter button
  //link to Twitter with the quote

If you don’t know how to do something, either break it down further or start Googling. Programming isn’t so much about knowing how to do things as figuring out how to do things. This project is mostly about jQuery and API requests, so you’ll be reading a lot of documentation.

4 Likes

Ah, I got it. The point is to try making modification.

Thanks a lot.
Actually, this thought come when I was seeing others friends here showing their finished projects. They look like so talented. Their works look awsome. I feel like nothing compared with them, eventhough they and I are in the same beginner level.

I am wondering the same thing. #general #help

I felt in the same way when I started learning how to code. In the beginning, you’ll stuck trying to figure how things work and how to make it. In the beginning everything will be based on copy/paste method, until you find yourself comfortable with it. So do not give up, everything will be ok a hard practice.

1 Like

Precisely. It’s what psychologists call “task analysis”

Yup, in the beginning coding can feel more like an art than a science. But trust me, there’s plenty of resources all over the internet on how to build basic projects, especially with freecodecamp. If you’re having a hard time wrapping your head around a project, don’t feel sorry for yourself, just find a tutorial and get it done.

When I was learning how to code I found myself in the same situation: I wanted to build something but couldn’t fully comprehend how to build it or even the full scope of what I was building. To get past this learning curve I found myself following a lot of video tutorials, character by character, until I became experienced enough to become more independent as a coder.

Weather you like watching videos or reading articles there’s TONS of help out there. Don’t be discouraged, with practice you will get over this learning curve. Practice is the key word though. You HAVE to practice building real-world things or you’ll never get over this learning curve.

Publicalias made a great point, you should practice breaking each project/app into a series of smaller tasks (Google Docs is a great place to get experience with that). The more you practice doing this, the more defined each project/app will become before you actually do any coding. The idea is to comprehend the project or app before you start working on it. Having a good game plan before starting a project can make the difference of a strong developer and a weak one. But as already stated, it comes with experience so don’t give up and and just keep coding (or copy & pasting)!

4 Likes

There is a big myth out there that you have to be creative to design for the web and that’s not true. I am like you but I kept taking classes and learned how to. With any project you have to create a plan. Once you do that you will see all the parts that you will need to do. Then just put them in a building order and then just complete step after step. The more detailed the list is, the easier it is to do and the better the project will turn out.

You can also write them out on index cards and then arrange them in the order that they need to be done. I do this one a lot. It keeps you on track and you don’t miss anything.

3 Likes

There’s a good article here about using memory tools like Anki to manage your knowledge base.

1 Like

Yes, it does. Seeing the work of others allows us to mimic, and even borrower (or steal) from them.

Picasso said it best, and we all know who he is, right? Good artists borrow, great artists STEAL!

1 Like

If you do things properly, you start every project with first knowing what the client needs. They you plan on how you are going to execute it, without thinking of design. Once you have that done, then you figure out a design that will accomplish all of that in the best design for it. You will never have the same design that way, and thus, never need to look for inspiration. That has been my experience as long as you focus on UI/UX before the actual designing.

If you are mimicking, copying, etc., you are already wrong. That’s the difference between “good” and “awesome”. That’s what I learned in design school.

1 Like

This information is very important and useful.

1 Like

I try and go over same and similar concepts in different ways. Audio visual practice and refactor revisit and document for later I have started using gitHub. And some handwritten notes.

Here of freeCodeCamp Now that ive gotten into the algo challenges I type PSEUDOCODE comment in plain English (or whatever ones native language might be) before I even start coding. If I’m totally confused I research .

Save notes code etc in central place watch videos read forums teach others if its a concept you are already familiar with, it helps it stick. Share progress with fam and friends (supportive ones of course) positive reinforcement always helps.

Don’t get discouraged continue or take a break work on another concept sleep on it… go for a walkI find things come together so much better mapping things out with PSEUDOCODE even if you modify it later it gives you a framework and birdseye view before getting into the weeds of a specific language or syntax and methods.

I think my biggest takeaway from formal classes was planning and thinking like programmer make plans before building develop a process that works for you and stick to it even with simple algos so it becomes second nature also practice practice pracrice.

Go over earlier projects and refactor that’s what I am going to do with my old notes and projects from classes I took a year ago share with others.

Hope this helps it seems to work for me :slight_smile:

I don’t want to forget read/watch if not all at least 2 of the “stuff worth your time” emails Quincy sends out including inspirational ones.

Even when I was busy with other things (flipping a rowhouse) or other obligations take the time to read those emails it kept my eyes on long term prize and " kept my head in the game" even when o wasn’t coding or designing.

2 Likes

wow, thank you guys for your insights. I do really appreciate your opinions. Bringing me back my motivation to learn more and dig deeper.
I love this community, since it’s doesn’t only cover technical aspect, but things like this.