How do you study and stay awake?

All of it, there is no “point” even… I’m as ultimately stuck as humanly possible.

Let’s fix that.

You need to build a solid foundation in programming. Seeing from your post history, you are mostly self taught. Self teaching can work in some cases, but I would say it only applies to already experienced programmers. You seem to be confusing yourself with concepts you haven’t full understood yet, resulting in a weaker coding foundation.

Simply reading a book and following along with exercises is a bad idea if you don’t already know the basics of that language. Often times they give you a false sense of having learned something when all you did was just write the code given. I personally did a 700 page coding book with this exact same layout, and I didn’t learn anything in 2 months.

I started off with FreeCodeCamp HTML and CSS (You may skip to JS if you like, the two certifications can be done in any order). freeCodeCamp builds from the basics up, which is why it is so successful. I also just finished learning Java in my junior year of High School, which built a solid understanding in object oriented programming.

Stop what you are doing and come back later when you complete these:

1. Do the JavaScript certification.
  2. Use the forum for help (and W3 schools/ Mozilla for quick guides), but make sure to complete all of the basics.
  3. Complete the HTML/ CSS certification

When you reach object oriented programming in JS, you will have difficulty. This is a harder concept to explain, but it is what I linked above in my attempt to explain the tip of the iceberg (may be helpful to read that again when you actually get through that section).

Most of what you are reading is more complex/ intermediate material that is hard to grasp. I honestly don’t like how they instantly jumped into working with HTML/ CSS with the introduction to JS, which only confused new learners that don’t know HTML.

Listen: You have a good start. The self teaching you have been doing for the past few months shows passion. You just need to direct that in a better way through better resources selected by experts, such as here on FCC.

3 Likes