How does my portfolio site look? Also Tribute page inside

How does my portfolio site look? Also Tribute page inside

http://vincestaffieri.com/

Hey guys,

There’s my website right there. I used the Team Treehouse html/css course to help me create it. I know it looks a little plain and definitely not as good as some of the bootstrap pages I see on FCC but it’s a start I guess. I’m really looking to get into a web development position ASAP and right now I’m focusing on learning through a Bootcamp Course at Udemy. I just got finished the Bootstrap section so I think I’m going to remake my portfolio site in bootstrap on FCC because that’s where I left off here.

I feel like I’m getting things and other times I just feel completely lost. I know I should be doing more projects to build my portfolio but I always feel like I should learn more on how to code them before jumping in and trying to code websites from the ground up. The one thing that confuses me all the time is the CSS Box Model theory. Margins, padding and all that gets real confusing for me but I’m keeping at it.

I started doing applications last week just pumping them out but do you think it’s too soon for that? And if so what is a good time in my learning phase to start putting application out there confidently?

Sorry if this is a lot of information I just had to get some of that stuff off my chest haha.

Any feedback or resources you have for me would be much appreciated!

Thank you.

Vince

Vince,

I’m also a newbie. I feel lost at times as well, but the help I get from the forum, meetups, and through word of mouth really helped me. What I’ve learned is that if you are stuck on something, make a note and move on. Sometimes if you move on to other topics, you might find answer or solution to your previous problems. You can check out w3school tutorials on YouTube and tutorialspoint.com (this is my fav and the explanations are easy to understand) for subjects that you are confused on.

Your portfolio is a great start. As you are building up your experience and more projects, you can add them to the portfolio page. How is the bootcamp course through Udemy?

“I started doing applications last week just pumping them out but do you think it’s too soon for that? And if so what is a good time in my learning phase to start putting application out there confidently?” — I’ve also ask the same questions. The answer I get is once you have applied for the job, you can put that on your resume and show them what you have. It doesn’t have to be completed. It’s good to have something rather than nothing. So keep doing what you are doing.

Good luck and I hope this help. We are in the same boat, so anything that I can help let me know.

Joy Rojanavongse

Thank you very much for the advice and the encouragement! It’s very appreciated! :sunglasses:

The bootcamp on Udemy is extremely helpful. You can check it out if you want it’s called “The Web Developer Bootcamp” and the lesson is done by Colt Steele. He does a real good job.