How Far down to the road should you go in CSS before you can claim to be a developer?

How Far down to the road should you go in CSS before you can claim to be a developer?

I visited a website called 100 days CSS challenges and my world is thrown upside down.

I don’t think I am able to do 90% of the tasks let alone doing one project a day. I learned to make website mostly using mature css frameworks like Boostrap and SemanticUI. I have come across many situations where Boostrap is fighting against my customize css and when it happened I would have to spend long time fixing css. I thought I am just really lousy in CSS despite the fact that I am driven to become a web developer.

Of all the learning materials I have accesses to like Udemy courses, freeCodeCamp and CodeAcademy, they seem to be focus heavily on Javascript/jQuery/DOM as opposed to deep diving CSS or SCSS and creating beautiful animation and logos.

Therefore can anyone who is in the industry tell me how important is the ability to use css to create animation logos is to front end web developer or in general to the web development? Why is there no emphasis on this particular skill across many web development courses if this is vital skill to learn?

I feel like most udemy courses try to hit all the major points of front end development in a super short time. So it makes sense that they dont focus on one thing for too long.

That said… Just keep doing projects and the CSS part should build on naturally. Cant really say much about how important it is. I guess it depends on what job your looking to get.

Im sure more knowledgeable people will answer soon. :smile:

It really just depends. Some jobs look for programmers experienced in Bootstrap and the like, some look for people who use only vanilla CSS.

It’s hard to teach creativity so that might be why online courses don’t delve too deep into CSS art and animation. For the most part the implementation isn’t the difficult part - the creative idea is. Take this one from that link, for example:

It’s really just @keyframes/animation, box-shadows, and transform scale, which aren’t that hard to memorize at all. The idea, however, is pretty cool and creative.

I believe it’s at least expected for a front-end dev to know how the animation CSS property works. It’s one of those properties that can override other CSS rules. And it looks fancy. I would suggesting playing around with it a bit. I guarantee it’s much simpler than it looks.

That’s the reason I stopped using Bootstrap after the tribute project. It will make sense to go back when I feel confident in my CSS skills. Until then, Boostrap use masks CSS weaknesses.

Have you taken a look at the actual CSS specifications laid out by the W3? Mind-boggling.
CSS has been in development for 20 years - by teams of really, really smart people from some really smart organizations. 20 years!!

There is just NO WAY that anyone can be an expert in weeks or months, and there’s no school or course out there, which could EVER teach us all there is to know about just CSS, let alone all the rest there is to know, inside of a month, a year or even a decade. The rest will come over time, as you continue to read, experiment, go to workshops, read, experiment, read, research, try, fail, try, win, read… Anyone that expects to be able to master it all, and to do so within just a couple years, is likely setting their self up for disappointment.

Any 10 to 15 year web veterans will tell you, that there’s not a day that goes by that they are not still learning. (Then, just about the time you think you have something figured out, they go and change it up!!! (HTML is on the 5th version; CSS is on its 3rd; new frameworks and even languages seem to came out weekly.))

If you really like CSS, get in there and break things, figure out how to fix it, learn, explore and become a master. You will be well sought-after for these skills! (I too think CSS is amazing, and am inspired (and also a little intimidated) by some of the truly amazing CSS animations I’ve run across on Codepen and other sites.) Just for fun, reach out to some of the designers/developers you’ve been inspired by, and ask them how many hours, weeks, months, years they’ve taken to get to where they’re at.

As an aside, have you seen some of the amazing things being done with .svg animations? Wow!

Best wishes to you. Remember this - you’re either green and growing, or you’re ripe and dying. It’s ok to be green, growing, and learning! :slight_smile:

I see the idea here, thank you for sharing your valuable opinion.

I think what I really want to ask is if you only have limited time like 6 months to learn about web development then what should be prioritized to learn?

Should I keep following down the path on webApps prototyping and worry more about building the functionalities than
aesthetic look of the website? Or do I need to pause my current progress on JS and take a deep dive on creating css animation? They do look like two completely different skill set in my eye though.

That’s a great question. I think it all depends on your goals. I have struggled with these issues as well.
What I have found that helps, is I have to have a project in mind that I want to build.
I have set up a couple of web pages/sites, and just started building - looking at other web pages/sites for inspiration. I’ve found that doing this, I am beginning to better know - all that I still don’t know!

If your goal is to become a front-end developer, perhaps consider working your way through to the freeCodeCamp front-end certificate, and begin right away building not just the required projects, but some others on your own (you may already be, in which case- that’s AWESOME!!).

I’ve been bouncing around, learning on my own for a couple years now. Mainly just html and css, for a website that I took over at work. I have been following through the fCC curriculum, as it is presented in a logical order, and gives a great MINIMUM amount that is needed to know. All of these courses - even a university education - is just about teaching the minimums. The rest will come with time and experience, and the experience comes with doing!

I wish you the best!

• Loren

Thank you for your reply. I guess I was trying to figure out what is a correct mindset in completing a project.
What should be a health time distribution spent on a project? Do I focus on MVP mainly or is it worth investing huge portion of your time beautifying the appearance? CSS is fun but with very limited good tutorials out there I felt way more frustration than joy over completing a project. For example I can probably finish all the API calls/ Interactive functions / data manipulation… in 2-3 hours but I would have to spend 2-3 days trying to figure out how to use css to make a certain appearance look the way I want it to and often time I would have to make compromise on my expectation as a acknowledgement to my failure to pull it out. I have a feeling of punching the air sometime and that is why I want to hear what you guys think.

PS-

@540376482yzb have you checked to see if there are any local meetup fCC groups in your area?

I found one in my city, and have been attending our weekly meet ups. I’ve met many other really nice devs-in-training, all with different levels of knowledge. I’ve even found a local, free, more advanced 12 week boot camp that’s funded by our state as a result (I’m hoping to get in their next class).

Check out the info on fCC if you haven’t already:

Take care, and have fun!

I’d say just learn what interests you. The best things to learn are the subjects you actually can engross yourself in. A lot of people seem to do fine going down the full-stack route without mind-blowing CSS skills. If you want to learn CSS strictly for complex animations you might actually be better off using a JavaScript library like GSAP.

I doubt that animations and logos are that important. Logos you can create with a dedicated tool more easily than with CSS. Animations on a website are generally irritating and to be avoided - apart from simple fade ins and slide ins.

More important is to learn layout and responsive design. For bigger projects, you also need Sass (makes everything better) and some kind of modular naming convention like BEM.