How long will it take to see how I'm going to use JavaScript?

I just began the JavaScript challenges. It’s really different from HTML and CSS, but I know JS is a programming language, and HTML and CSS aren’t.

Anyway, how long will it take for me to get to the point where I can take what I’ve learned and use it in a website, or improve upon my HTML/CSS projects? I got used to learning some new CSS skill, and getting to use it right away. Right now I’m just doing simple math problems and making strings. :slight_smile:

1 Like

not sure, I just started myself. I get the same feeling about python though. I keep hearing that you can do a lot of things with JS.

Hi cherylm,

As somebody who just finished the jS course, I can totally relate to your situation. I reply with a wonderful quote from James Clear’s book Atomic Habits:

We often expect progress to be linear. At the very least, we hope it will come quickly. In reality, the results of our efforts are often delayed. It is not until months or years later that we realize the true value of the previous work we have done. This can result in a “valley of disappointment” where people feel discouraged after putting in weeks or months of hard work without experiencing any results. However, this work was not wasted. It was simply being stored. It is not until much later that the full value of previous efforts is revealed.

Keep on the grind! As far as I know, you won’t be able to build anything visually appealing until you start with the next course: “Front End Libraries Certification”. Check out the final projects of this course, they are actually useful and their design is quite eye-catching. I hope we’ll be able to build them one day…

4 Likes

Good quote, thank you. That sounds like a good book.

I like to know what to expect. I’ll keep plugging away, and perhaps revisit some of the html/css to try to keep it in my head :slight_smile:

Did you only do the FCC JavaScript curse, or did you supplement with other materials?

When I first started learning JavaScript ( all my programming learning started here on fcc and I got the full stack certificate ) I wondered the same thing.

It depends on the complexity of your website. But as you progress in your learning your websites will become more complex.

From my perspective, now I can’t imagine creating a website without JavaScript. It opens up a whole new world of possibilities.

When I look at my projects on GitHub most of them are 75% JavaScript or more.

Once you learn JavaScript then you can learn libraries like React, etc.

Keep at it and it will become clear in time as you go through the lessons :+1:.

2 Likes

if you want to start using javascript to improve your pages, check out dom manipulation. it is not included in the JS certification, but there are some tidbits in the 4th certification. You can just look it up in documentation, or wait for the third certification, where there are the front end library and frameworks used for that

what could you do of simple… well, you could add a question in your survey form that appear only for a specific answer in an other question.

what could you need?

• addEventListener
  • getElementById
  • methods to add elements to the page

that could be a starting point. then there is anything you could thing of

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ve seen the term DOM manipulation, and figured that is what I eventually want to do. I will keep this on the back burner for now and work through the beginning lessons.

2 Likes

That was helpful, thank you for sharing.

Hi, I just started JS course yesterday. I felt the same way as you do. But, I believe our time is not wasted, just keep learning until you get the certificate.