How much I have stacks for applying to career changed one? Please to check my resume

Hi, all. Thanks for reading this.
Since I decided to change my career, have I learned HTML, CSS, Javascript to start new career of frontend job or full stack developer(Unfortunately I haven’t started to learn backend programming like Express I want to learn). I saw skills at applicant pages on LinkedIn for experienced developer and I thought the skills are important (like module bundle, testing framework and Typescript) and I wonder are all the stacks need to be applied on my portfolios already.
I started to write my resume and searched some advices for new entry developers. I hope you guys review my resume critically so it would be very thankful. I wonder these too:

• Skills are needed to sort or remove other skills which I don’t need for applying for?
  • Is it fine to write ‘career changed frontend developer’ for me who hasn’t started his career of yet?
  • Is it too much explaining on Education(Thought it could add my talents because I don’t have certain experience)?
  • Should I add numeric results on Experience?

Again thanks for reading mine.

Here bellow is my resume:

Ps: Do I have to apply in certain industry which I have to focus on?

Hi @jacobkim9881 , welcome to the FCC forums!

So I quickly skimmed over your resume, and wanted to give some feedback.

The first thing I want to bring up is how you structure your resume is usually subjective to the job your applying to. For example your resume should be different if your applying to a large company, rather than a small one.

• The top of your resume is usually one of the most important areas, as regardless of who is reading it, its the first thing most people read. As such I recommend pointing out the more important traits for the given job. Right now you mention how your a “career changed frontend developer”, this may be important to you, but it might not be that important for the job your applying to. The “frontend part” is important if your applying to a front-end job, aswell, but you also mention skills with React, JQuery, design, photoshop and gimp, which is just as important, if not more relevant to most jobs you will be applying to.

You also mention your attentiveness to English grammar which I think is important for jobs that require that skill, which a lot of “global” jobs require. Do keep that in :smiley:

One of the best approaches to specifying which skills you promote the most on your resume should be determined by the job requirements. If the job your applying for asks for X, Y and Z, saying you have skills with X, Y and Z wont hurt haha. The more “check-boxes” you directly check, the better.

I personally wouldn’t mention this directly, unless the job your applying for related to such topics. For example if your applying to a company that helps people change careers, then mentioning it would be very relevant. Otherwise its a cool “story” of how you get where you are now, but I personally would promote what you can give to a company in terms of skills and experience, rather than specifically how you got where you are now (or were you want to go).

If you have a degree, you should almost always mention it. Web development is becoming more accessible to a lot of people, increasing competition for “entry jobs”. Many companies cut down on applications by automatically weeding out applicants without degrees. Its not exactly fair, but it is a cheap and easy metric. As such having a degree, even one not directly related to web development, is always a big plus.

I like how you mention how you learned statistics with your degree, which is something I’d probably work on next. As being able to leverage your previous experience learned from your degree, with web development should be a big advantage. I recommend looking into some data science topics to at least get familiar as its another angle you can apply for jobs that not everyone has.

Not 100% sure what your asking here. If your asking if you should mention how much experience you have in terms of months/years you have with each technology you should if you either have a lot of experience, or you meet a jobs requirements. If you have say 3-6 months of experience and the job your applying to asks for like 5+, then not mentioning it might be better. Obviously don’t lie if asked, but don’t promote your own short comings if you can.

Your resume should be focused on selling you to a company. Do your research on the job, and the company and see how much you can “sell” yourself as possible. Obviously you might be missing out on required skills which will hinder your chances, but see those shortcomings as paths to learn something new :slight_smile:

Good luck with your job search!

Short advice:
Maybe change order of your sections and rename Other Activities to Projects.
Order: Skills, Projects, Work Experience, Education.
If there is only one line in the second page, make sure CV fits only to one page. Preferebly create PDF when sending for jobs as it will ensure consistent format.
Find a friend/ relative who would like a website, make it and include describing it is a live website for a client.
Have your website and include it in your CV. Unfortunately https://lucid-clarke-3ee16f.netlify.com/about wouldn’t look good. I have created mine on github pages:
zetdotcom.github.io have a look. If you are not a designer look for some simple designs on awwwards, dribble or similar websites. Make it nice and simple and easy to navigate.

I got a job with this portfolio (updated only a little bit since then).

Good luck!

Hi, @bradtaniguchi, thanks for the feedback. Was good chance for checking my resume and also good chance how my resume could be subjective. Seems like I should be more objective to explain myself.

I also agree with that since have a degree been your asset, which means you have experienced high education.
Again thanks a lot! :slight_smile: