How not to be mixed up with special characters

Hi. I know this may sound incredibly silly but I’m failing in some challenges because of a closing comma, curly brace or parentheses. Or an opening one.
Is there some memory-helper (I don’t know the exact expression in English) so I don’t feel so lost with this?
Sorry if I ask something stupid.

Honestly, it comes down to practicing careful attention. A syntax-aware editor (like the one used on freeCodeCamp) can be helpful because they may often color-code some special symbols or pieces of code. But at the end of the day, it’s about building up a habit for looking at these details.

1 Like

Hello~!

I cannot count how many times a small typo like this has broken my code (and taken far too long to debug). In terms of the freeCodeCamp editor, you can try running the auto-format feature (with Ctrl+Alt+F). As far as I know, it will not auto-format if there is a syntax error. However, it will also not provide any output to you if there is an error.

The best tool I use is my local development environment. Personally, I use VSCode, though any editor should work - installing a linter can help point out missing brackets, and there are a few other extensions that will assist you as well.

Ultimately, like @ArielLeslie mentioned, it’s really about the attention to detail. The tooling you use can help, but shouldn’t be relied on. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi! I really wish I could tick the solution for both because both of you are right!
I suppose it’s habit so thank you both. I noticed the red mark when you fail a character too. I’ll try and practice. A lot. @nhcarrigan and @ArielLeslie
I’ll try the format checker too!

1 Like

Just be patient and forgiving with yourself. Don’t try to rush. Slow is fast.

3 Likes

@ArielLeslie thank you dear. I needed those words.

1 Like