How to create an app

Hi every one this is just an open question for those who have create app’s
I’m currently learning to code because I would like to create an app and now that took a deeper look at all the themes that this site offers, made me wonder which ones should I lean first? to get the right skills, I’m currently working on web design.

Please feel free to share your thoughts.

1 Like

You’re going to have to be more specific. There are also a lot of useful youtube videos that step you through the process, including some from FCC.

I just want to get the right skill to create an app.

Have you begun the FCC program? That would be a good place to start.

1 Like

Not I haven’t; which one is the FCC program, btw? if you could leave a link I would appreciated it. :slightly_smiling_face:

I provided a link in my previous post. This forum is the forum for that program, Free Code Camp. It is free and self-paced. By the end of it, you will be able to build fullstack apps.

I’ll just append my question here.

I know a lot of HTML/CSS/JavaScript and have intermediate skills in React, but I’ve never deployed an App. Does anyone know good resources which guide through the process from starting with CRA to uploading it to an App store like Google Play? I’m building a reasonably acceptable React project and would like to gain some experience in actually getting something out there.

1 Like

Does anyone know good resources which guide through the process from starting with CRA to uploading it…

You create a build (usually with npm run build) and then deploy (with npm run deploy if you have it setup or but just manually copying from the build folder to some host). I would recommend looking for youtube videos - there are people that take you through the whole process.

… to an App store like Google Play?

OK, back up there pardner. You said CRA - that creates a React app for the web. Mobile is something else. For that you can build it with Android/Java, but you can also build it with React Native. React Native is a specialized form of React - it is very similar. If you can do React, then React Native is pretty easy, but… getting the environment set up can be rough. Again, I would do internet searches, etc. to find relevant information.

Ha, you realise I’m still clueless (unless it’s just about publishing a website, I can totally do that). But creating an app for mobiles is something else. I just want to upload an app and then download it from my mobile because that would make me feel like a real dev.
React Native it is then, thanks for the hint.

1 Like

So basically your suggestion is to go through all the FCC here?

You have to follow these steps to create an app

1. Choose your app name
  2. Select a color scheme
  3. Customize your app design
  4. Choose the right test device
  5. Install the app on your device
  6. Add the features you want (Key Section)
  7. Test, test, and test before the launch
  8. Publish your app
  9. Promote your app
  10. Ask your users for feedback
2 Likes

It depends on what you want to do. FCC will teach you how to build a web app. But you want to build a mobile app. That is different. However, if you’re going down the React Native path, then FCC is useful because you will learn a lot about React and you will learn how backends work, which is always helpful. FCC will help you learn some core concepts that help with mobile development.

And if you’re adept at doing a React web app, then doing a React Native mobile app is pretty easy. The main differences:

1. You have no native DOM elements like p or h1. Basically what was a div or span becomes a View and all the text stuff becomes Text. That’s a simplification, but that’s the idea.
  2. You don’t have complete CSS - you have a subset. But it’s most of what you need. And everything is flex.
  3. You have to think a little differently - you have a smaller screen, there is no hover event, “click” is now “press”, etc.

But that is all trivial. The hard part is getting the environment set up - getting your emulators going.

1 Like

This is tangential to the actual question, but I have gotten a couple things up on Netlify, and it was pretty easy. They’re still pretty primitive at this point, but at least they are deployed and people can look at them.

Note these are web apps.

2 Likes

I have tried to install android studio and have a HAXM error could you help with that? I spent the last five days trying to find out how to fix that. Thanks!

1 Like

Yup. I’ve been there. I think it took me a couple of weeks to get my thing set up. I don’t know what to say - it’s beyond my field of expertise and is probably different on every system. I spent a lot of time going through youtube videos and stack overflow. And a lot of trial and error.

I just bought this pc and well im going to have to ask them for help which i dont want to do.

I don’t think that’s the kind of thing covered by warranty. You’re just going to have to keep plugging away at it, doing some searching, and doing some reading. But yeah, it’s a really big pain - I remember.

But this process of figuring out how to make it work is good training. This happens a lot where things don’t work as expected and the documention is poor.

1 Like