How to land that first role / gig?

Well, first of all, I’d say that there are a lot of threads on this topic with a lot of advice - I might check all of those. link link link link link link link

Read these, do some google searches. This subject comes up a lot and it’s always the same advice. There are a lot of great articles on the internet.

I know it’s frustrating, but there is no magic formula. You just gotta learn to code. Be a voracious learner and addicted to coding. Then it’s perseverance. You have to accept that you will get rejected a lot.

It reminds me of the old joke:

Two guys are walking down the street and a beautiful girl is walking the other way. The first guy says, “Hey baby, let’s have sex.” She slaps him hard on the face. The guys keep walking. The second guy asks the first guy, “Man, you say that to all the women you meet? You must get slapped a lot.” The second guy replies, “Yeah, but every now and then I have sex.”

It’s a numbers game. You don’t get penalized for failed interviews. All you need to win the game is one job. And the way to raise your odds is to keep going at it until you get it.

That and working your ass off to become a great coder.

4 Likes