How to nest text into shapes #floating_trapezoid?

How to nest text into shapes #floating_trapezoid?

I’m trying to make a floating scroll bar with a trapezoid sitting at the bottom center of the bar. I’d get my text to live at the center of the trapezoid for each page/section heading. How do I align my text to the center of the trap?

Note, most of the code isn’t optimized- still trying/learning a few thing.

Codepen Link

I cleaned up your code.
You need to use triple backticks to post code to the forum.
See this post for details.

Hello there!

The problem is because the trapezoid is created with paddings—which means that there aren’t actually any space inside <div class="trapezoid"></div> to hold the text. Before going into the potential solutions, I recommend changing border-bottom to margin-bottom if it’s there to create space between elements in your layout—this makes positioning easier and more intuitive in, particularly, the second case:

.trapezoid {
    margin-bottom: 100px;
}

You could then try one of the following ways to center text inside the trapezoid shape.

###1. Pseudo-element

With this method you will have to remove the text that is currently sitting between <div></div>. Please note that the top property is manually set to half of the height of the trapezoid and transform: translate() is used to adjust the difference because offset by the height and width of the text:

.trapezoid::before {
    position: absolute;
    top: -40px;
    left: 50%;
    content: "About Me";
    transform: translate(-50%, -50%);
    color: white;
}

In addition, and if you require more than one trapezoid with different text in them (which I assume is your case), you will have to set the text in the CSS for each element. This can be done using the :nth-child() selector as in the following example:

HTML

<div>
    <div class="trapezoid"></div>
</div>

CSS

.trapezoid::before {
    top: -40px;
}

.trapezoid:nth-child(1)::before {
    content: "Home";
}

.trapezoid:nth-child(2)::before {
    content: "About Me";
}

.trapezoid:nth-child(3)::before {
    content: "Contact";
}

###2. Multiple <div>'s

With this method you use a wrapper <div>'s to wrap separate <div>'s of the trapezoid and text. Note that <div class="wrapper"></div> is set to be an inline-block to allow for percentage positioning (horizontal, specifically) because a <div> is block-level elements by default. The rest should be relatively straightforward or already covered above!

HTML

<div class="wrapper">
    <div class="trapezoidx"></div>
    <div class="text">About Me</div>
</div>

CSS

.wrapper {
    display: inline-block;
    position: relative;
}

.trapezoid {/* As above */}

.text {
    top: 50%;
}

I hope that helps! :slight_smile:

honmanyau Thanks a million! Thanks for taking the time out to explain it your suggestions. I also wasn’t familiar with the use of wrappers (among other things). I will, try to play around with each of your suggestions to make sure I fully understand and let you know how it goes.