How to PRACTICE

Hello

I am new on the forum. I’m doing HTML in college. It was my 1. year and I started to do HTML and CCS on freecodecamp.

Can you guys please give me some advice how to practice all these code what I learned.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

I was told that the best way to practice, is to start building your own web page using the material you have learned.

I use Codepen to build my web pages.

CodePen is good for experimenting with code and playing with HTML and CSS and JS. But for practise building a full page from scratch I recommend using an IDE such as VSCode or Atom.

CodePen does quite a few things in the background that you’ll need to learn to do yourself if you’re building pages from scratch. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is VSCode and Atom free? I mean, what are they exactly?

VSCode and Atom are text editors, and yes, they are free :+1:

1 Like

How do I get them, download them…whatever I need to do?

Atom is free. I think VSCode is free too, but I haven’t used it.

They are Integrated Development Environments (IDE). In very basic terms, it’s a software that allows you to edit your code and debug it. For building a webpage, I have Atom set up to “lint” my code - it validates my HTML, CSS, and JS to check for syntax errors and formats it for readability.

Atom by itself is pretty basic, but you have the ability to add Atom packages that expand on its functionality and allow you to personalise the environment for your specific needs.

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

With as slow and heavy as Atom is though, I’d go with visual studio or sublime. (Though personally I just use notepad++)

Yeah, I tried using Atom for a whole month, and It gets A LOT slower the bigger the project is. What I really LOVE about ATOM is how the UI looks. It just looks very clean and visually appealing, but I have to gave that up for VSCode, because It’s a better text editor. It has a lot of features, and it has a really big marketplace for extensions.

1 Like

My projects must not be very big yet :sweat_smile:. I have yet to run in to this issue.

2 Likes

Yeah I agree, atom is just slower than VSCode

First of all I’d start with codecademy. You can learn basics there for free, you don’t need pro. Ones you know basics, start developing your own side project/idea and GOOGLE everything you don’t know - that’s basically how others do it no mater of their seniority.
Programming is not about what things you know by heart, it’s about how you solve problems. Good luck man <3

2 Likes

I mean, personally I’d start here on Free Code Camp, but whatever you prefer.

2 Likes

I prefer FreeCodeCamp to Codecademy, as I feel it explains the topics better.

1 Like

Well yeah, FreeCodeCamp is a learning platform, it actually is teaching you how to code, and giving you some challenges. While CodeCademy is a coding Bootcamp, where you’ll learn by doing a lot of challenges on the go, which I don’t prefer for starters, because, they don’t have a FULL explanation on how things works.

1 Like