How to present new versions of a website online without SEO impact?

How to present new versions of a website online without SEO impact?

Hi,
I have been working on the new version of a website.
Now, it is almost done and I would like to get feedback.
In order to get feedback, it’d be easiest to put the website online so my advisor can browse around in it.

I could simply upload the website to another URI but I haven’t done that because I am concerned with the SEO impact such a copy of the content might have.

Is there a canonical way to go about this?

Best regards,
Matthias

Presumably telling search engines not to scrape your page should be enough:

Would your content index so quickly by crawlers if you did upload it to another URI?

What I usually do if clients need to review their new site, is I put it on a temp URL.
for example: dev.company.com
so that www.company.com won’t be affected.

When that dev site is now moved to production, what I usually do is keep the url/filename of the old site and give it a 301, 302, 30x redirect to the new URL/page.

30x redirects won’t affect your pagerank score.

Of course, if the copy on the new page is totally different, then yeah, it may affect it a little bit… but overall, not much terrrible impact.

Take advantage of Google webmaster tools and ask Google to reindex the new site quickly, submit a sitemap, etc.

After Google has indexed the new website version and they’re appearing now on Google search results, I delete the old filenames that contain the 30x redirects. Keeping the directory clean.

I have no idea. Maybe I’m worrying too much.

NoIndex, Nofollow or a robots.txt really seems the way to go.
30x redirects “feel” more difficult and less clean. But that’s subjective.

So, I have two options.

I could add <META NAME="robots" CONTENT="noindex,nofollow"> to the header of all my pages.
This shouldn’t be too hard given that I am generating them from a single template.

Or I use a robots.txt. This is less clean because people might still link to my dev version which might be an issue according to Google’s documentation. But I think that’s highly unlikely.
Either way, such a robots.txt should look as follows, right?

User-agent: *
Disallow: /

This is the best option in your case. since your’s is not a new website, it could be linked from else where, and hence blocking crawlers in robots.txt won’t necessarily restrict crawlers finding your website through some external link.