How to progress with Java Script?

FCC alone isn’t the best way to learn JS: it’s expected that once you get some of the basics down that you look at other tutorial material. There’s also very rough spots in the curriculum that are IMHO just plain confusing, so to reiterate, outside tutorials are more likely to clear it up.

If you feel you don’t have any grasp on a concept, you might have a harder time with following challenges. On the other hand, seeing the concept in action might crystallize it for you, so don’t feel as if you have to have everything down solid before moving on. Go until you get stuck – you can always go back.

2 Likes

Yup, I quickly learned that FCC is set-up in a specific way that you can’t really use it on it’s own without researching, which is great.

I’m stuck on Basic JS level 88 objects so I decided to try other courses to get me up to speed so when I go back to that challenge I’ve had built up a bit more knowledge and will restart the FCC JS course. A very painfully slow process but it helps to sinks in I guess.

I’m currently spreading myself over several different learning resources, and each seem to fill the gap of the last.

I guess I knew it was time to take a step back when I was stuck on Challenge: Using Objects for Lookups. For a couple of days. :smiley:

remember you can always ask for help if you need so, people are always happy to help you through the challenges

1 Like

I’ve been coding in JavaScript for years, and still do not know everything. Also, the language is constantly changing. However, you should focus on the essentials and actually try to build something real. Get a book like Secrets of the JavaScript Ninja by John Resig (creator of JQuery). Go through that entire book and you will have a VERY good grasp of JavaScript.

Still, there is no substitute for building something real that has to work for your users. That will force you to progress very quickly. Good luck!

1 Like

Yeah I posted a similar question 2 weeks back when I got to algorithm section and just ended up redoing the curriculum. The second time around I got a much better understanding and was able to solve questions better (though I still posted a ton of questions). I also reduced my learning speed. I guess we just have to get comfortable with not getting a deep understanding for a long time.

Now I’m on the functional programming and wonder if I’ll have to do that process again :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Indeed, this forum is super helpful.

Thank you, I was reading Jon Duckett’s javascript but then realised it was outdated with what I was learning on FCC/Codecademy so I switched to Eloquent Javascript, the first challenge in the book is to build a pyramid and chess board out of hashtags. I’m unsure if this is meant to be easy or incredibly difficult!

Would you still recommend Secrets of the JavaScript Ninja or continue with Eloquent Javascript? I’m still very new.

Seems like the way! I think making progress feels natural so I tend to complete challenges without really understanding what’s happening.

I’m going to redo the challenges for both Codecademy and FCC.

I can’t wait to reach that point where basic JS looks simple.

Ahh, I have that book as well. It has good ratings, but it is definitely not for beginners. I would definitely recommend 1st Version of Secrets of the JavaScript Ninja. It doesn’t teach the new syntax, but everything you learn is foundational. The 2nd version covers the new syntax, so you can always check that out later. I think Eloquent JavaScript will make more sense after going through Secrets of the Javascript Ninja - 1st version.

1 Like

Thank you, that make sense as Eloquent JavaScript goes from 0-60 real quick. After explaining the very basics (strings, basics loops/for/while) it throws you the below challenge. I wasn’t sure if I was missing some pages or if it had been explained in the previous pages…

create this pyramid
#
##
###
####
#####

&  create this chessboard
# # # # #
 # # # # 
# # # # #

I’ll definitely give Secrets of the Javascript Ninja a read.

This was one of my favorite books back in the day when the first edition came out. Does an excellent job of explaining some very important concepts. Make sure you get the most recent addition though as they have added quite a bit of new material.

1 Like

there you just need to combine loops and if in the correct way

think about it in this way, how would you do explain what to draw to someone that doesn’t know what a pyramid or a checkerboard is?

I get that not every culture plays checkers, but something is seriously lacking in one’s education if they don’t know what a pyramid is. Of course, “triangle” would have sufficed and been more accurate to boot.

Glad to see others have found it useful.

I do have Jon Duckett’s JS book but I believe it’s from 2014, I love the way he lays out the CSS/HTML but is it too irrelevant now?

I figured I probably just need to keep adding 1x extra on every loop but I wasn’t sure how to do it, and looking at some of the answers online, I’d never have been able to figure it out.

in the book it gives a hint to use .length.

This is why I need to go back ove the basics, I got the jist of how adding ++ to a varible after each loop and stopping when it reaches ‘false’ < 5. I created a basic 1,2,3,4 (yay) But I need more reading.

I think the book defined it as a triangle, I don’t know why I said pyramid!

I think Jon’s book is great at explaining the basics of javascript.
But you are not going to learn anything about es6 because the book came out before es6.

1 Like

Thank you.

So would you say it’d align nicely with FCC? I see FCC has the ES6 after the basics and maybe by then advancing to something else?

His CSS/HTML doesn’t have Flexbox or Grid either! :smiley:

At this point in time, ES6 is the basics. If the book is old enough that it isn’t using the updated syntax offered by ES6 then you should probably get a newer book.

1 Like