How to prove to potential employer that websites on my portfolio are made by me?

I’m getting into full-stack freelancing and have a burning question about how I’ll even get hired. When I show a portfolio of great looking websites that boosted sales for my clients and all that, how does the employer I’m showing my portfolio know that it was me who made them? Sure, why would I list websites on my portfolio that I haven’t made… But how does the employer know that? Is there a standard way to prove this? Some kind of tag in the code, contract papers, my name in the footer, showing them the code itself on my laptop, or what? None of these methods I listed are very clear or appealing to me, e.g. I don’t want my clients’ websites to have to have my name in the footer. Thank you.

2 Likes

I really don’t know, but I’d suggest you show the link to your github account and your code for the portfolio. That is a really good Idea of proving that you made it, 'cause I hate when people plaigerize my stuff or other people’s stuff. Also put the text "[copyright] @romanjamesmirov 20__ " in your footer.

1 Like

If you have the code available (saved on github for example) you should be fine. If its publicly saved on github then its even better, as you can provide the link to the repo. If its privately saved, then you always could “bring that with you” to any interviews to show employeers. If for some reason (legal or otherwise) you no longer have the source code, I recommend keeping it in the future for these situations. Even without the availability fo the source code I don’t think its a big deal.

You could do some stuff on the public site, like having some comments/meta-tags that say you built it, but I think thats somewhat overkill.

If you say you built it, then most people will believe you. Its very easy to weed out people who faked it by either asking about things like “what issues you had building it?”, or “if you could do it again what would you change?”.
People who are faking have no clue how to answer these questions, where as people who built it do.

I’d worry less about employers caring, and more about people taking credit for what you made. If you throw a license into your source-code repo, you get some legal footing over your work. Lets be serious though, client-side web designs are easy to mock/copy/take. I would not worry to much about this, since you should have gotten paid, abd your client got what they wanted. Employers care more about what you can do and less about what you have done. Its good to reference that stuff, but they have their ways to make sure you know your stuff, so as long as you do know it, you should be fine :slight_smile:

PS. What if you did build your site but only copy-pasted your way through 95% of the code? Same problem :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for the detailed answer. :+1:

I’m likely not going to be working for anyone who knows the difference between HTML and CSS anytime soon. That’s why I was having trouble answering this question. I can always pull up one of the websites on my portfolio and Inspect Element to reveal my name in a comment. I guess once I’m old enough to sign contracts, then proving that I worked on a project will be as easy as pie. It’s good to be ready to show that you’re not a scammer to a potential employer, because there’s a lot of scams in this industry.

1 Like