How to reset index back to zero

Could someone take a look at this codepen https://codepen.io/huereca17/pen/jJzbev?editors=1011 and explain how I can reset my index value back to zero? When I reach the end of the array I would like to restart back to the beginning of the array. I have been on this for the past two days :slight_smile:

I would greatly appreciate it!

-Silas

1. Increment or decrement index.
  2. Check if new value of index is out of bounds (i.e. is -1 or is colors.length).
    • If yes, set index to max (colors.length - 1) or min (0).
    • Else, do nothing.
  3. Set color based on new value of index.

Thanks for getting back with me. I apologize but could you go more in depth with your solution?

Thanks,
-Silas

I think it’s pretty comprehensive in terms of pseudo-code. I guess I could make it more specific by splitting it into the two functions:

nextFunction

1. Increment index.
  2. Check if new value of index is colors.length.
    • If yes, set index to min (0).
    • Else, do nothing.

previousFunction

1. Decrement index.
  2. Check if new value of index is -1.
    • If yes, set index to max (colors.length - 1).
    • Else, do nothing.

Note that step 3 is identical in both cases, so you may want to split it into its own function. You could also run this function on page load, so that your #display is initially set to the first color in the array.

Okay this helps out a whole lot. I think I got it now!!

Thank you so much!!
-Silas

2 Likes

Why does my next(or prev) button decrements before it actually increments the other way on this color slide show? I can’t figure it out and it’s driving me crazy.

Thanks!
-Silas

Try following the logic of your functions line by line.

Please do not create duplicate topics for the same challenge/project questions. I’ve merged the two topics.

Thanks for the hint. I fixed it.

Thank you!!
-Silas

@silashuereca If you add “prev” and “next” ids to the buttons and pass the id names to a single function (i.e. changeColor), you could do something like the following:

HTML

<div id="display"></div>

<div class="container">
   <button id="prev" type="button" onclick="changeColor('prev')" style="cursor: pointer">Prev</button>
   <button id="next" type="button" onclick="changeColor('next')" style="cursor: pointer">Next</button>
</div>

JavaScript

let display = document.getElementById("display");
let colors = ["red", "green", "blue", "orange"];
let index = 0;

function setBackgroundColor (color) {
   display.style.backgroundColor = color;
}

function changeColor (direction) {
   index += (direction === 'next' ? 1 : -1);
   if (index < 0) {
     index = colors.length - 1;
   }
   else if (index === colors.length) {
     index = 0;
   }
   setBackgroundColor(colors[index]);
}

setBackgroundColor(colors[index]);

I added another helper function just to clean up setting the background. Plus I specified the background to the first color “red” when the page first loads instead of the background being white.

1 Like

I just want to say thank you for your contribution to my project. This solution really helped me understand a better logic with JS code. I really appreciate it.

Thank you!!

-Silas

I have a question for you though: How does this code increment by 1 every time you press next?

Ahhhh, I see. Makes complete sense now. Thank you!