How to stop monthly donations?

I started donating $3 every month to freecodecamp.com and it’s auto-drafted from my paypal account. I want to put this on pause while I am currently trying to save money, can I cancel the monthly donations? If so, how do I accomplish this? I’ve looked everywhere in my settings and I don’t see any option to stop or cancel the donations. Thanks!

Not sure if you can change this on freecodecamp.org. But you can change it in your paypal account:

Go to: Settings > Payments > Previously accepted payments (or something like that). Then click the payment to freecodecamp and click “Cancel”.

Just found the “correct” way:
You should be able to stop the donation here: https://www.freecodecamp.org/commit

1 Like

that doesn’t help, there’s no option on the commit page to select to commit nothing. This is for the standard $3 donations to freecodecamp, not the commit fundraising.

And I don’t want to have to cancel the recurring payment every time it occurs through paypal either.

According to https://www.paypal.com/dm/selfhelp/article/how-do-i-cancel-a-recurring-payment,-subscription,-or-automatic-billing-agreement-i-have-with-a-merchant-faq1067, you have to follow these steps:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click Profile (the gear icon) on the top right corner of the page.
  3. Click Pre-approved payments under “Payment settings”.
  4. Select the merchant whose agreement you want to cancel, and click Cancel.
  5. Follow the instructions to cancel the agreement.
1 Like

If you are donating through PayPal, you can stop your donation any time from your PayPal dashboard here: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_manage-paylist

If you are donating using your credit card, you should be receiving a donation receipt in your email each month. You can forward one to us at donors@freecodecamp.org and we can cancel it for you.

It may take us a few days to get back to you. Even if Stripe automatically charges your card again after you’ve emailed us (and before we respond) no worries – we will refund your card for that donation when we respond to you.

Thanks again for supporting freeCodeCamp.org. We are a tiny nonprofit with a big mission, and every little bit helps.

1 Like

I am reading these comments…but I’m still unable to cancel my donations. Also, I do have a pay pal but there are no any data for freecode camp donation. I need this cancel this ASAP! Since I have no idea HOW i’m paying this, i need you to cancel this for me.

3 Likes

I am having this same issue - I cannot cancel my monthly donation and have been donating for a few months without even realizing it. freecodecamp.org/commit says “You can change your commitment or stop it at any time.” but there is no option to cancel!!! I emailed support and haven’t gotten a response. This is frustrating and shady to say the least.

Same here. I have emailed 3 times and called once. Not sure what to think from this lack of responsiveness. Not good for the public image. Anyone from the admin staff is welcome to contact me regarding this issue. Thank you.

1 Like

Say for me…rather disappointing

1 Like

FCC cannot forcibly take money out of your bank account people. Just. Stop. Paying. The. Donations. You are all in control of this, you just need to cancel a recurring payment.

2 Likes

There is no such setting at https://www.freecodecamp.org/settings

1 Like

The place the money comes from: you have control over that. You are making those payments. You can stop those payments .

2 Likes

You cannot control your credit card that stop payment from a specific merchant

Yes you can. You just ask the provider to stop the payment.

1 Like

I think not all bank support this. at least my credit card bank does not support.

The only method is to cancel the card and apply a new one, if ffc cannot stop paying.

Well as it’s your legal right almost everywhere in the world to cancel that payment by informing you bank you want it cancelled, then I’m guessing either your bank is not a legal bank or you haven’t tried.

1 Like

Surely I have tried and found no way before post for help.

Firstly, I think you point is arbitrary to thought a bank is not legal if does not support this service.

Secondly, it is totally another topic that has to resort to bank’s this type of service.

FFC needs to provide this feature if it declares to be able to cancel it. I don’t believe you can think this is rational way.

Hey there @eric_tao. I’m sorry that this has been so frustrating. If you are donating using PayPal, it’s very easy to stop your donations from PayPal itself. If you donated using a credit card, all you have to do is email team@freecodecamp.com. The secure service that FCC uses to charge credit cards only supports the service administrator cancelling payments, so FCC can’t offer you a simple button. Emailing FCC will get it done easily. Thank you for helping support Free Code Camp!

Hi Leslie:

Appreciated for your kind help.

Yes I have sent mail to team@freecodecamp.org and quincy@freecodecamp.org a week ago and haven’t got any reply yet.

It might be too busy for them as I understand operating a non-profit site is not easy.

So it looks at present the only way is keep waiting~~~