How valuable is C++ today?

Hey everyone,

I’m seeking a BS in Software Engineering. My university teaches C++ as the main software engineering language. What are your thoughts on C++ programming?

2 Likes

It’s not my favorite to use, but it’s still extremely relevant.

1 Like

Your first programming course may require all of your time if you know nothing, or hardly any time if you at least have the basics down going in. I recommend the latter.

5 Likes

Thanks everyone! I feel like getting the basics down with C++ will make it somewhat easier to learn other programming languages as I’ll have a broad understanding on the logic and syntax behind each language. What do you guys think?

1 Like

From my perspective, after studying electronics, C++ is probably the most important of all languages. Writing it you have control over everything, which has its own perks, but sometimes is pain in the a** (memory leaks, slightly better coped in C++11<).
Nevertheless I fully recommend learning it first. You’ll understand everything from the ground up regarding programming, learn to go easy using static tables, and learn memory management. Someone once said, that learning C++ is like learning latin, it all began from this language.
Is this language still valid and “trendy”? Yes, all the embedded systems, the boom of Internet of Things. I think it’s worth.

hope I helped a little

2 Likes

I know Java from the first year of my undergrad, and Now they’re teaching me C. I’m assuming because of the Java, C to C++ wont be a hard jump. is there a big difference between how relevant C is compared to C++?

While I don’t think C++ is a good language for beginners, it is incredibly relevant today, especially if you want to work in game development. Both the Unreal and Unity engines were designed for C++ first (though they are gradually improving JavaScript support).

4 Likes

The best resource I have found for learning C/C++ has been Handmade Hero. It is a series of videos crafting a cross platform game from scratch using just C and some non-OOP aspects of C++ with no libraries. It is definitely not for beginners and I plan to revisit it one day when I have a better grasp of easier languages.

8 Likes

From my experience: C is still more valuable in microcontrollers programming. While being almost archaic it gives you the most control over executing certain tasks. C is commonly used in Digital Signal Processing (also microcontrollers), embedded systems etc (so, still valuable. E.x. my friend codes in C for 2 years, now making a lot of money from it, because there are less and less quality programmers in this language). Yet there are opinions that with excellent understanding of compilator processes and code writing, you can write comparable code in C++, there are minor differences between these languages, but there is backward compatibility included, so you can use almost anything from C in C++. Main differences begin in C++11 version and STL (standard template library) implementation, making it amazing tool for creating Object Oriented applications.
To sum up. If you have no troubles learning and understanding C after knowing Java, there will be less trouble learning C++. You’ll discover some differences, surely, but after some time it won’t bother you. Stick to C++, buy a freescale microcontroller (like with Cortex-M0+ on board) buy bunch of sensors, and triggers. Have fun with it. Make weather station, make automatic light switch. Or - create something bigger like whole server application to manage all of your sensors :smiley:

Cheers

1 Like

In time, I have to get back to that book for I’ve studied C++ for my Associates and Bachelor Degrees, YEARS ago. I’ve been practicing from time to time with that and a while back C via a few tutorials, but never applied them to anything. Going through the forum, as I’m getting into coding the right way, with direction. Looking forward.

Just another reason for choosing this “Guide: Computer Science and Web Development - comprehensive path”.

Thanks again @P1xt for that post.