***https://www.freecodecamp.org/learn/javascript-algorithms-and-data-structures/debugging/use-caution-when-reinitializing-variables-inside-a-loop

What may I do to have two columns??

you are asking an impossible question

• what are you talking about?
  • what have you tried so far?
  • what’s your current code?
  • what’s going wrong?
  • what should happen instead?
  • what have you tried to fix that?
1 Like

What have you tried? What problems have you run into? What is behaving differently than expected?

1 Like

what are you talking about? I am talking about this challenge. I accomplished the 3 rows.

what have you tried so far? I tried the change of the values of (let matrix zeroArray(3, 2)) and I ignored de inner loop by using //. I could not try console.log() because I do not know how to use it in this case.

what’s your current code? This is my current code.

function zeroArray(m, n) {
  // Creates a 2-D array with m rows and n columns of zeroes
  let newArray = [];
  let row = [];
  for (let i = 1; i <= m; i++) {
    // Adds the m-th row into newArray

for (let j = 1; j < n; j++) {
      // Pushes n zeroes into the current row to create the columns
      row.push(0);
    }
    // Pushes the current row, which now has n zeroes in it, to the array
    newArray.push(row);
  }
  return newArray;
}

let matrix = zeroArray(3, 2);
console.log(matrix);
console.log ();

what’s going wrong? I think is my inner loop. I changed the conditions of it, but I did not get any positive result.

what should happen instead? I am getting zeroes in function of the rows. I should get rows in function of the values of (let matrix = zeroArray(3, 2);). I should get : [ 0,0] , [0,0 ], [0,0 ],].

what have you tried to fix that? I tried to change the values of the conditions of inner loop and the outer loop. I got the three rows, but I did have the two columns yet.

What is behaving differently than expected?
I want to get this.

I am getting colums in function of the rows. If I set 4 rows, I get 4 columns.
What have you tried? I changed the values of the conditions of inner loop and the outer loop. I got the the three rows, but I did not get the 2 columns.

stuff is at the same time a bit more complex than that, and also a bit more simple in terms of fix

the issue is as said in the title, the declaration of the variable
arrays work by reference

let arr = [0,0,0]
let b = a
b[1] = 1;
console.log(a) // [0, 1, 0]

something similar is going on in your code

newArray ends holding three different references to the row array - row is not copied in the newArray by the push method, the push method adds a reference to the row array in the newArray array

you can think of the newArray as being [row, row, row]

the fix is pretty simple in terms of changes to the code
but conceptually it involves variable scope, and a bit of reflection

try to think about it

1 Like

I solved it! Thanks!. I could solve it after I read hints, is that harmful to my learning?

how you learn, is up to you. Just be sure to be able to apply what you learn!
In future return to the challenges that you solved by looking at solutions, and see if you can solve them on your own

1 Like

No. I did not read the solution. I just read the hints. I thought about what you told me and I did it over when I read the explaning about the problem in hints.