I am hopeless. I feel like this is not for me

After learning html, css, javascript and react. I am still unable to land a job. I already i applie for 4 jobs for the last 2 months sadly all failed. Yesterday i was expecting that i will nail the exam i thought i did. I think i did well on the exam but i dunno how to answer the 3rd since it was so confusing. If the interviewers will only give feedback to what i did wrong so i can improve myself. Sadly they dont give a sh*t about that.

I am already in my late 30’s working as an IT admin in a small school. I really love doing some frontend but sometimes it makes me think that im not good at it. Ive been thinking lately to go network admin route and take CCNA cert. What do you think?

Here are the task that was given to me

and how i answered it.

https://task1-ewave.netlify.app

https://task2-ewave.netlify.app

https://task4-ewave.netlify.app

https://task5-ewave.netlify.app/

2 Likes

After learning HTML, CSS, JavaScript and React, I also learned Node, built a few full stack projects, taught myself React Native, built a few of those projects - and it still took over 100 applications and 30-50 interviews over the next 6 months. And I had to move to a different state for my first job. #ymmv

If the interviewers will only give feedback to what i did wrong so i can improve myself. Sadly they dont give a sh*t about that.

I recommend asking. Sure, many won’t but a few might.

I am already in my late 30’s working as an IT admin in a small school.

I was in my late 40s, working as a jazz guitarist. #ymmv

At the risk of more shameless self-promotion, I once wrote a doc with my advice on getting that seemingly impossible first job.

I’ll see if I can look at your answers later.

14 Likes

I don’t know your circumstances but I applied for about 15 jobs in the last 3 weeks and counting.
Frankly I’m looking for an entry-level job in my 30’s in a field where there aren’t all to many jobs available (Data Science) and I am writing application all across my country (Germany).

However generally 4 applications are not many.
There are always a lot of other people around who are aiming for the same jobs and thus you have to write a bunch of applications to get a decent chance of finding a job.

And if you want feedback - did you consider writing the companys and ask about it? I know it’s not common to do so, but certainly a possibility.

Do you have links to the code for the examples? I’m much more interested in seeing that.

1 Like

I quickly checked you tasks and from all the five tasks only one (the last one) somewhat meets the requirements. Task 3 is not finished at all. In Task 2 you should use currying. Tasks 1 and 4 also don’t meet requirements. At all.

I suspect that interviewer may not even check past the first two tasks, because Task 2 should be just a couple of lines (or one line if you feel fancy).

And all the stuff in those tasks you could’ve learned from FCC.

2 Likes

How should i address the 1 and 4 requirements? And I dont even know currying lol. Yeah task 3 was really confusing for me.

1 Like

This is part of learning. When I started doing interviews, I made a lot of mistakes. I learned something from every mistake I made.

As to currying (and I agree that that was what they were looking for), I would start with googling “javascript currying”. You might also review this FCC lesson.

Case 3 is a lot of text but overall just some basic object-oriented-programming.
If you struggle with understanding this task, I highly advice going through some course with it.

As @jenovs mentioned, all these topics get covered in the FCC curriculum.

If anything else go out on your own and put the job search on hold. Im currently writing APIs to sell on the web, but this is all part of my first project and next will be the portfolio on WP. On the other hand there seems to be a huge demand for coders but now there`s also more people getting into this field so it may take some more time.

My experience was the same. Close to a hundred applications, 50 or more phone interviews, 15 or more in-person interviews before landing the first job. And first job was with a non-profit. So having it take as many interviews as you have had isn’t a reflection on you, it’s how the process goes.

Also would suggest that you keep building, studying, and expanding as you go. Make this goal a truly long-term goal with a long-term outlook. If you expect yourself to become good at something this hard in a short amount of time it can easily become overwhelming. But if you have a longer outlook, giving yourself permission to grow over a longer time, it becomes less daunting.

I hate HR managers and interviewers who consider it difficult to give at least any short feedback. They are awful. This behaviour makes me think that they use my works to get the task solved for free.

1 Like

If they feel forced, I don’t want their feedback anyway. I only want it from people that really want to help. That may have been only 5% of them, but it was a quality 5%. Ask them at the end of the interview. If you don’t get a chance at the interview, then wait for your rejections and send a friendly note on email or linkedin. The fly fisherman doesn’t worry about the 20 casts with no luck, he just focusses on the one where he’s going to reel in a nice brownie.

A feedback from people who feel forced is the same as the absence of feedback because it’s quality is awful. I have already gone through this.

… and we agree with you…? :person_shrugging:

Getting feedback is nice, but it doesn’t always happen. It never hurts to ask for it though. If you don’t ask, you almost certainly won’t get the feedback.

1 Like

Never got a response from them. I guess f*** them lol

@nomnomcookie Please don’t stress. Let’s take into account the economy. Not only that but remember that you have the skills now that you didn’t have before. You are MORE marketable NOW than you have EVER been. Landing a job is not going to happen over night. It’s GOING to take some time and effort. Give it a chance. Breathe and keep looking. Don’t let the fact that you “can’t find a job” interfere with your “go get it” attitude. Keep looking. Also, don’t limit yourself to the area you live in. Be willing to move or be able to freelance (which IS an option in this pandemic era). Market yourself. Good luck, my friend! It will happen. Give it a chance to. Let us know WHEN you succeed. I am sure that we would love to hear about it.

4 jobs applications in 2 months, and you expect to find a job? Think like this, if 50 persons apply to a job, your chance is just 2%. In your situation, you had only 8 % chance on these job applications. You have to apply to around 50 jobs to find a job with this calculation.

I don’t think that your probabilities add up, but the message is correct - you need a higher volume of applications, in general, to get a job

2 Likes

you’ve just applied to 4 jobs and thinking to give up ? Please don’t

1. How about applying to 500 jobs and then give up ?
  2. Build atleast 1 mini size project every day or 3 projects per week to build your confidence
  3. Check out https://remoteok.com/, Y combinator jobs and stackoverflow jobs, world needs loads of developers.

Do not give up so early, how about ordering this Rocky quote today and sticking in your room prominently ?

1 Like