I am learning java in college but I like python

Right now I am learning Java in college but I love working with Python/Django because of its simplicity I found that I do a lot of coding in java to get very small results especially for web development. Can I study python by myself, get a degree in Java and get a job in python :confused: is there any chance?

Programming languages are not mutually exclusive.

Learn and study whichever you enjoy most.

1 Like

Good day @SlimAidar.

Nice question.

I studied computer science and learned Visual Basic during my first year of University.
During my second year I learned C++ and during the third year I learned C#.
I had the choice to learn either Java or C++ but decided to learn C++.
Over the course of my studies, I learned HTML, CSS and JavaScript in my free time.

When I finished University, I couldn’t get a job where I would apply either Visual Basic, C++ or C#.
On the other side, those who had learned Java found something.
After applying on many occasions, I realized that I knew something and had done some web development projects.

The field of web development became an alternative choice and I could showcase my projects when applying for jobs.

I got a job 2 months after discovering freeCodeCamp and working for longer hours over those 2 months.

What happens if you learn Java?
You will still get jobs!

How?
Though applications trends do not showcase much of Java, Java is a hot skill since many applications will require maintenance from developers with Java skills.

Visualize it like this, though we have electric cars, there is still a need for mechanics with an understanding of old cars to repair them.

What happens if you learn Python?
You will still get jobs.

How?
It’s among the hot skills and the demand is high.

In summary, learn both. You never know where you might land in the years to come.

2 Likes

Learn both, it only increase how much you get out of college

My college also taught Java (its very common) but I took up python for the exact reasons you describe, its plain simple, especially when compared to Java. Python is becoming more popular by the day due it’s flexibility and accessibility.

Now the one thing I will point out is looking for just Python jobs might not be a good idea. I’d consider learning both languages, so you can get a better grasp of programming in general, which is the most important thing to get from going to school. I wouldn’t focus purely on a language this early in your journey, as odds are you won’t know all you need to know for most jobs and will need to learn more on the job.

PS. I believed learning python early while learning Java helped me learn Java, other languages (like javascript) and other concepts much better, as it was re-enforced from multiple languages. Concepts like OOP made much more sense when you had to implement it in python and Java, as you have to boil it down to concepts, rather than just the language syntax :smiley:
Also I spent a winter making some python apps that made me stand out compared to other grads (who just learned Java). Just be careful not to get them mixed up! ;D

3 Likes

learn both. polyglots have more job options

1 Like

Well, you don’t earn a degree in Java, you earn a degree in computer science. Java is a tool, just like Python, JavaScript…etc. They are means to an end.

Most things you learned to do in Java, you can figure out how to do in Python. The valuable skill you gain in college isn’t a programming language or a framework, rather it’s to think like a computer scientist. Understanding system, network, optimization…etc, knowing data structure, algorithms, and design patterns.

you can pick up the syntax of a new language in a few weeks if you already know one, you can probably learn a few frameworks in a couple month. You learn computer science in any language, the language isn’t the point, what you can do with it is.

2 Likes