I cannot get a new dev job, even though I have 2 years of job experience in the field

I am highly struggling to get any bites after submitting countless resumes and submitting countless apps. I mostly used LinkedIn, but I have also used Indeed and filled out apps on external links.

I lost my last job due to a mistake I made outside the workplace. I don’t want to elaborate, but I wasn’t arrested or convicted of anything, and this mistake has still followed me from place to place.

Ever since I lost this last position (in which I was making equivalent to $70k/yr), as I said, I am barely getting any bites at all.

Maybe it is due to a bad job market? Maybe it is because of the holidays? I don’t know.

could be a bad time yes. The hiring cycles ebb and flow and many people are too busy right now to actually follow up (maybe they will follow up in January).

you said that your mistake is following you from place to place. If true, have you considered writing a cover sheet to explain what employers should know about this?
It may help if you haven’t already.

1 Like

@hbar1st

Idk, what I did was really damaging. I embarrassed as to what happened.

Right now, I am unemployed. Sadly, I am very talented and skilled, but I cannot get a job in my industry.

Just my two cents but maybe work on your resume, do some nice projects and make your applications more personal for each company then copy and paste. Just what i’ve heard though.

1 Like

Thank you. I have a major project I have been working on, but I can hardly get anyone to participate. It is one of many projects I am wanting to do.

Feel free to take a look and provide feedback and critique it.

Sadly, some visit the site, but don’t provide feedback. Do I take that as if it is a bad project?

Don’t mention the incident at all in your cover letter or otherwise! Prospective employers can only ask HR in your previous company whether you worked there.

1 Like

This is just my opinion from vistiting it and checking out the channels but asides from the nice layout. There isn’t anything in the channels to really look or read about, c/ sections look weird would probably look better without the c/ and just the name of the section. Plus having to make another account can be a pain in the butt for people who just don’t want too, having the option to link accounts would be better but they would also need trust the site.

The layout and design is simple and nice, the pages also work

1 Like

@camperextraordinaire

Yes, it is brand new. I JUST released it. It is a MVP that is still under development, but I wanted to get it out there to see how it can be used.

As for the terms of service and provacy policy, I am trying to figure out what to do with that still.

I am missing a lot of legal stuff, like registration of my brands and such. I really need to get to that.

What I am saying is that the people I have shared it with, they don’t seem that interested.

As for if Knoxville needs this, there are only two other forums I have seen that exist for Knoxville, a subreddit that is really restrictive and a city-data forum. The benefit of using my forum is that you can earn points and redeem them for rewards in the future.

The objective is to create a portal, actually. This is one of the many sites I am going to make.

I agree. Football is a huge deal here. In all honesty, I am ready to move.

1 Like

Do you try to apply for remote jobs in your role in U.S?

I think as you described that you’re proficient in your work.
A good portfolio, with experience of 2+ years. It will hopefully do the job for you.

If not, try it. If you did. Try for a remote job outside the US.

Hope it will solve your issue.

I have applied for plenty of remote roles. Any and all roles I can apply for. The most these companies are doing is just looking at my application. Almost all I never hear anything from.

Hi Hayden,

I am brand new to coding and am only getting started; however, I know a little about getting jobs, and A LOT about Knoxville.

1. I was an Academic Advisor for around 8 years at St. Petersburg College here in FL. I left for more money.

2. I had an Executive level job in the Mortgage Banking industry and was laid off. The past few months have been the most challenging time in my life. Trying to find a job right now is anything but easy.

3. I was born and raised in Maryville, TN just south of K-town. My father helped erect that SunSphere for the 1982 Worlds Fair. He was a Lineman (electrician) who also installed the lighting atop Neyland Stadium.
    I lived there 32 years before moving away from my ex-wife. If you make the wrong person in K-town mad, you will need to look in a different state for work. (Did I say I am in Florida?)

4. I still bleed orange which is one thing I am concerned about your on your site. If its about Knoxville, why are the colors green and white? They bleed orange and white and are completely nuts about UT sports. I am 50 years old now and could help you with facts about the place and sports memories that they still talk about…in Knoxville.

5. The purpose of the site is a bit vague, which may be a good thing. (We will get back to that)

6. Why Knoxville?

Suggestions:
1 & 2)The purpose should jump off of an (orange/white) (orange/gray) (orange checkerboard) or (orange/black) page…in Knoxville! I personally would not like any blend of those colors for a landing page because orange is hard to look good on anything but a UT jersey or my fan gear.
3) Have you thought about broadening your scope beyond the scope of Knoxville? There is a lot to do there but I have a hard time envisioning getting my home folks riled up about something like this without correllating it to sports.

Think about…

Purpose
What do you want the reader to do?
Are you thinking to narrow? ( I love’em but Kenny Chesney said it best in his song “Back Where I Come From”…“narrow-minded people on narrow-minded ways”.
The Smokies is one of the most visited parks in the world! Nashville is the home of the Grand Ole Oprey. (Capture an emotion and you will get them to follow) for example, me typing this on my phone. Sorry for any typo’s.

I am extremely knowledgable in UT sports knowledge and the role it plays in the culture of the city and surrounding areas. I am happy to work with you on your project if you want more ideas. My buddy in Nashville asked me to write a book about our childhood because I remember everything, especially the challenges of growing up poor in that culture. Did I mention I live in FL? I didn’t forget, I am purposely pointing out what you may have to consider if whatever you did keeps road blocking you. Same here, I committed no crime! Got black flagged by tge wrong person and had to split just to have a decent life.
Davidew3@gmail.com
Go Vols!

2 Likes

hi there! you are addressing the wrong person in your post. Randall is not the OP (original poster) who was requesting advice. The OP’s name is Hayden. You may want to edit your response…

Repost:

I am brand new to coding and am only getting started; however, I know a little about getting jobs, and A LOT about Knoxville.

1. I was an Academic Advisor for around 8 years at St. Petersburg College here in FL. I left for more money.

2. I had an Executive level job in the Mortgage Banking industry and was laid off. The past few months have been the most challenging time in my life. Trying to find a job right now is anything but easy.

3. I was born and raised in Maryville, TN just south of K-town. My father helped erect that SunSphere for the 1982 Worlds Fair. He was a Lineman (electrician) who also installed the lighting atop Neyland Stadium.
    I lived there 32 years before moving away from my ex-wife. If you make the wrong person in K-town mad, you will need to look in a different state for work. (Did I say I am in Florida?)

4. I still bleed orange which is one thing I am concerned about your on your site. If its about Knoxville, why are the colors green and white? They bleed orange and white and are completely nuts about UT sports. I am 50 years old now and could help you with facts about the place and sports memories that they still talk about…in Knoxville.

5. The purpose of the site is a bit vague, which may be a good thing. (We will get back to that)

6. Why Knoxville?

Suggestions:
1 & 2)The purpose should jump off of an (orange/white) (orange/gray) (orange checkerboard) or (orange/black) page…in Knoxville! I personally would not like any blend of those colors for a landing page because orange is hard to look good on anything but a UT jersey or my fan gear.
3) Have you thought about broadening your scope beyond the scope of Knoxville? There is a lot to do there but I have a hard time envisioning getting my home folks riled up about something like this without correllating it to sports.

Think about…

Purpose
What do you want the reader to do?
Are you thinking to narrow? ( I love’em but Kenny Chesney said it best in his song “Back Where I Come From”…“narrow-minded people on narrow-minded ways”.
The Smokies is one of the most visited parks in the world! Nashville is the home of the Grand Ole Oprey. (Capture an emotion and you will get them to follow) for example, me typing this on my phone. Sorry for any typo’s.

I am extremely knowledgable in UT sports knowledge and the role it plays in the culture of the city and surrounding areas. I am happy to work with you on your project if you want more ideas. My buddy in Nashville asked me to write a book about our childhood because I remember everything, especially the challenges of growing up poor in that culture. Did I mention I live in FL? I didn’t forget, I am purposely pointing out what you may have to consider if whatever you did keeps road blocking you. Same here, I committed no crime! Got black flagged by tge wrong person and had to split just to have a decent life.
Davidew3@gmail.com
Go Vols!

Sorry, I hope that fixed it. First time posting here

You can just edit your posts.

I would remove your email address. There are bots that crawl forums and harvest emails. You can PM it instead if someone wants it.

@DavidEW3

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. I will consider changing the colors to orange. The only problem, like you said, it is difficult to get other colors to blend well with orange. I will look into this.

Nope you still addressed the wrong person. I just went ahead and edited your post for you…

If your struggling at the “getting the interview step” your not alone, its the toughest part of the job search, but it is also the easiest to “play with” as your input into the job search is at its most minimal. So you only have a few things to change/update/work-with.

1. Resume
  2. Over letter
  3. Job application itself/job-seeker-profile

Your portfolio (if you have one) and other aspects you link-in might also be something to work with. So if you don’t link/provide your portfolio for example, it wont matter as an “input” to your job search. This may be a good or bad thing. Not having one just means you can’t “sell” yourself using it.

Ultimately if your not getting any bites any number of factors could be affecting you, but you only can change the 3 core things above. Something like your local job market is a big factor, but you can’t really do much unless you expand your search.

Having a strong resume, personalized cover letter and a clear message on why you should get hired is what you should be focused on.

If your feel like your past behaviors are affecting your current job search, I’d first verify this is actually why your not getting hits. If you ever get feedback on a job application, then seek out if this is the reason. Or ask directly if you get rejected. If not, this might not be the reason.

Next I’d focus on building a clear case as to why you should get hired over other applicants for a given role.

“spray and pray” works primarily on prayer as everyone can submit. Crafting a clear approach to a given role(s) to meet as many requirements for a job as possible is mostly a “sales skill”, which makes it its own challenge.

Ultimately its possible your skills your advertising and can leverage or “sell” might not be enough to stand out, which leaves working on them.

Good luck, keep learning, keep applying!

1 Like

I’m curious, have you tried doing a search for your name on any of the major search engines? You might be surprised why what turns up in the search results. We live in the age of the Internet, everyone is Google-able. You should really see what pops up online about you. If the search results are bad, then you might need to figure out a way to clean up your online reputation. I also think honesty is the best policy. Better to be honest with companies about your prior mistakes and show that you’ve learned from those mistakes. Just my two cents.