Today, after 2-3 weeks away from freecodecamp, I tried to sign in and failed. Then I sent myself a password reset mail and failed reseting also. (I get ‘Oops! Something went wrong. Please try again later’ error.) I signed up to freecodecamp in February first. I wasn’t sure if I signed up with GitHub account or not but when I sign in with GitHub account all my progress is gone. (I signed up to forums with that account) I have completed everything from start to ‘Advanced Front End Development Projects’ and now it’s discouraging to be unable to see that progress. I hope this is fixable and I can continue from where I left. Can someone please help?
If you created your account in February, you would have created it with an email address (not a GitHub account). Creating accounts with alternate sign-in methods has been disabled.
There are two different types of saved progress for Free Code Camp: your profile and your browser cache. However, there is also a known issue that may be affecting your account (see below).
Your completed challenges are all saved to your account in the FCC database. You can see the list of completed challenges and also the last submitted solutions by looking at your profile page.
If your profile does not include your completed challenges, here is my troubleshooting advice:
- Double check that you used the same method to sign in. Try logging out and back in again with the original method. Attempting to sign in with a different method will sometimes create a duplicate account. (FCC is taking steps to prevent this from happening in the future.)
- Double check that you aren’t on the beta site now and that you didn’t create your original account on the beta site by accident. (Yes, this does happen.)
Your progress tracking (map) is saved in your browser’s local storage. In-progress code is also saved in your local browser cache. If you are changing browsers or clearing your cache regularly you’ll have to use freecodecamp.com/map to navigate to your next challenge. Especially as you get to more complicated challenges that may take multiple sessions, I strongly recommend saving your in-progress work outside of the browser cache. This is a good opportunity to learn the ins and outs of your GitHub account, but you can also just save locally or use a service like repl.it which allows for versioning.
If your former progress cannot be found on your profile page, and your score has reset to 1, you have been affected by a known, but rare, issue. The team is working to resolve this issue.
If you want to start again, remember only the beginner and intermediate algorithms (marked on the map with a
*), and the projects, are required to attain the front end certificate. Since your projects are likely hosted on Codepen, Surge or GitHub Pages, they have not been lost due to this reset - you can just resubmit them. Your algorithm solutions are the only critical solutions hosted directly on freeCodeCamp, so as you work on these be sure to push them to your GitHib repo, or store them with a service like Codepen, JSFiddle or Repl.
We’re sorry for the inconvenience and we are working hard to resolve future issues.
- What problem are you having?
- Can you log in?
- When you log in is your profile information correct?
- Are you trying to log in with a linked account (such as Google or GitHub)?
- Have you tried signing in with your email address?
- Have you changed any of your email addresses?
- What browser are you using? What version is it?
- Have you tried disabling browser extensions?
- Have you tried clearing the freeCodeCamp data from your browser storage?
- Are you using a VPN?
- Are you on a controlled network, such as a school, workplace, or library connection?
- Was your account created as a test account for the Python curriculum open beta?