I can't see the future anymore

I know many will disagree, but one successful strategy for learning is to simply copy tutorials. When I want to learn a new skill, I copy demos and tutorials. I teach organic chemistry and I encourage my students to copy the answers in the study guide, then put it away and try to do it themselves. If they can’t, copy it again, rinse and repeat. The most successful students are those that do this. Don’t feel bad. Coding is as much a learned skill as it is talent. Talent won’t do you any good if you don’t practice with it.

5 Likes

Thanks @Joke, I think like you.

For me, study in English was very, very hard and frustrating at the beginning, right now I know lot of technical terms and words that I do not know if exists in my native language (Spanish) and I am very fluent.

@dperygin I agree, but that is only to complement, I help you to build mental muscle, I do it at nights, when I fell tired, I can repeat and copy the same tutorial or documentation I follow at morning, afternoon or evening , most of the time this improve my understanding and sometimes I discover something new.

if fact in the MOOC previously posted here, “Learn To Learn”, Barbara Oakley emphasizes the importance of memorization. Something like HTML tags, CSS properties, control flow and data structures in the language you use, and others, require to know them by heart if you do not want to be loosing time relearning every time you use them.

I really recommend that MOOC for every person who wants to start learning software development and it is a good practice see it again every six moths, or at least whatch the Barbara’s speech in youtube.

1 Like

It might not be you… A lot of these front end languages are funky and they might not fit your personality/inclinations. SQL is also a very different paradigm from most languages which are procedural.

You may want to take a BRIEF look at a few other languages to see if they speak to you better.

Maybe take a peek at Python or Ruby and see if you can get further with them.

Many of these languages are very detailed and arbitrary, which can drive one crazy.

Hang in there. You just need to find your stride.

1 Like

Hang in there, don’t give up! It will get better after the hard part.
Try finding a programming mentor and attend to local coding meetups. It helped me a LOT.

1 Like

I bought these blue light filter glasses for like 20$ to protect my eyes and brain health. It really helps. I also read on diet, proper food combinations, the internal body clock, and quality sleep vs. quantity sleep, with hopes to optimize my learning potential. As a beginner I still have to see how this plays out in my journey. Overall, I am not just learning programming to refine just the skill of programming. I am utilizing my love for computer programming to refine the total well being of my life along with coding. I see people have such huge goals, and dire circumstances. As for me, I am going to take it one step at a time. Since I am not naturally a rational or logical genius, a very common type individual, and way more passive than most, if I am still striving many others should too. My 10 grade teacher said, “if you are doing something bad make sure you are at least having fun.” Not that I am advocating mischief, I believe it is important to stick to what we love doing. I think everyone should do what they purely like and invent something for someone else to purely like. I heard Confucius say (sarcasm), “it doesn’t matter how slow you go, just keep moving.”

My way of progressing is by staying positive and optimistic. In my opinion how we feel about the root issue may not be the root issue. If say I was trying to fix the wheels of a car to get it to work but in reality the engine needed fixing I would consider myself not true enough as a person and programmer during the course of my error. I think it’s important to conceptualize the root problem thoroughly and conquer our obstacles step by step.

Overall, here I am typing advice with very little coding expertise. Still I think I could say that since I am doing it because I enjoy it, take pride in what I do, and that my journey will be no less than a win win situation, there is less reason for another beginner to think he should quit.

1 Like

Hi all, a little update for my progression. I did manage to finish React-Redux and is safe to say I have finally obtained a very good understanding of modern JS and the libraries and have learned some of the best practice advised by professionals I met :slight_smile:

I have to thank you all of you again for all of your encouraging words. It really helped me progress. For the past month, my wife have been giving me tons of emotional supports, telling me everything is okay and even reached out to some of her high school classmates for me who are now working as developers. Although I haven’t yet asked them any questions as they promise to answer when I get stuck, having someone watching my back gives me a huge boost. :smiley:

As to how I progressed since last month, I paused on React/Redux for a bit to review asynchronous JS, and along the way have learned some algorithms and data structures. After those, I went back to learning React/Redux. Then, the JS god has finally opened the door for me and progressing through the React-redux have become a lot easier for me.

At the moment, I have been learning the Node JS backend - MongoDB, Express npm/yarn and Webpacks. So far I am doing great except that Express being too unopinionated of a framework for beginners like me (eg., I am learning way too many different ways to handle authentication). After finishing learning express in a few weeks, I will be starting my own full-stack project with some reasonable difficulties to retain my knowledge and to hone my problem solving skills. I will be building an application similar to Meetups called Study Buddy to help self-learners form study groups. After that, I will be making a website for an animal care / animal rescue group in Hong Kong with a busy professional developer promising to advise me and review my code :wink:

Again, thank you all of you for the advice! Without your advice, I won’t be opening up with my wife and a lot of the stuff following that wouldn’t happen. You guys are the best :blush:

5 Likes

@kwlo

Good to hear from you. And I’m glad to hear you’re doing so well.

I wish you and your wife all the best.

1 Like

Sad post. I get depressed sometimes, too, because I don’t see the future.