I feel like im learning Chinese with a Russian manual

I was just stuck for an hour on Word Blanks (Task 175) … i breezed through the 10 or so task before that. I am a tad frustrated at the way it was presented.
The problem looked like this

function wordBlanks(myNoun, myAdjective, myVerb, myAdverb) {
  var result = "";
  // Your code below this line

// Your code above this line
  return result;
}

// Change the words here to test your function
wordBlanks("dog", "big", "ran", "quickly"); ```

And the answer ended up being result+= "My "+myAdjective+" "+myNoun+" "+myVerb+" very "+myAdverb+".";

I never would have gotten that on my own because i had no idea how the answer should be structured.
Obviously im new that doesnt need to be stated but should i have known that the answer would begin with result+= ? Should i have know that the + operator goes on both sides? I feel like im missing something or not recalling the info that i should have to solve the problem. I had to look at someone elses answer to get this one which makes me feel dirty… Ive been doing this for less than a month and am probably being too hard on myself but also am wondering if i am seriously lacking in recalling info or if these are normal growing pains.

I guess my question is should i feel totally lost on some things this early? Also… i know what to do if i cant figure out the answer to a question… but what do i do if i cant even figure out how to structure the answer (that i also dont know)

After writing all this i realized i could go back and look through all the tasks 1 by 1 and try to recall something from that. But that seems like an arduous task for every time i get stuck.

In these cases would you think its ok to just be ok with not knowing… and move on and hope to grasp it later when more knowledge is acquired ? Or should i stay on it until i get it?

Hello,

there;s nothing surprising or even remotely worrying in what you said.

I’ve found that taking notes really helped me retaining information + an easy way of finding information when needed.

I also find that when I don’t know how to formulate the answer (most of the time), I try to formulate my question. So for example: putting strings together? Then I’d see that the word CONCATENATE comes back a lot. Either it rings a bell and I look it up in my notes or on FCC, either it doesn’t and I look at MDN.

Another way that is really important for me at this time is training on CodeWars (I’m still at the novice level, yeah, I know). I actually like doing the beginner stuff because it takes me through basic methods. After a while I feel I have a small panel of tools I’m ready to pull out when needed. Then I can move on and add to it.

So again, nothing to worry about, just a lot to work on!

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to read/respond. I appreciate the positivity! And GREAT idea about reverse engineering the question. Ive done that under different circumstances but felt too lost on this one… but i see now how i could have applied that tactic. Gonna keep that idea close for future headaches. Ive seen CodeWars mentioned a bunch it looks like i need to get on it. Have a good day man Thanks again!

1 Like

My pleasure. You’ll find posts like yours coming up regularly - so it’s normal to feel like that.

I cleaned up your code.
You need to use triple backticks to post code to the forum.
See this post for details.