I feel like the FCC course is going too fast

Tell us what’s happening:

Just started the ES6 portion of the javascript portion (on the Write Higher Order functions lesson) and i feel like they jumped the gun way too quick. Anyone else felt this way when doing FCC? Or am i just super slow or something. Am i supposed to do things on the side like my own research (meaning is that what they had in mind when the made the curriculum)?
Anyone have any tips on going through the lessons more smooth, without having to check up something every other lesson? Or is that what im supposed to be doing.
Thanks in advance, hope the post makes some sense

Your code so far

const realNumberArray = [4, 5.6, -9.8, 3.14, 42, 6, 8.34, -2];
const squareList = (arr) => {
  "use strict";
  // change code below this line
  const squaredIntegers = arr.filter(realNumberArray > 0);
  // change code above this line
  return squaredIntegers;
};
// test your code
const squaredIntegers = squareList(realNumberArray);
console.log(squaredIntegers);

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/71.0.3578.98 Safari/537.36.

Link to the challenge:
https://learn.freecodecamp.org/javascript-algorithms-and-data-structures/es6/write-higher-order-arrow-functions

1 Like

Sorry for my english)) I think JS calls the language and that a reason why we all should learn all parts of js. And the fastest way is to use our own maind/brain. I use OpenOffice sheets and mindmap for recording all parts i passed. But after JS class i think i need to create a Quizlet cards for more rapit memorization language

A lot of people have this impression, there are discussions about moving the ES6 section farther down, I have no idea if it will be done or when.

You can use this situation to exercise your Read-Search-Ask skills and familiarise with the documentation ( https://developer.mozilla.org/ )
Or you can return to this section later after you have done some more of the curriculum

Yes It happened to me with higher order functions (map, filter and reduce) section. fcc didn’t intoduce the subject with examples first as other modules in the site, when I reached the chalenge I was not able to even remotly solve it, I was so frusterated that I abandoned the site for some time.
That happend to me with other sites/courses until I came up with a conclusion that there is no one place in the internet sufficient to build a solid knowledge about programming so the best you can do is to use multiple resources in conjection with fcc,
Hope this helps.

1 Like

Take notes. I did a Google doc with notes on every challenge and included the code with it.

It helped my incredibly because physically typing it out helps you remember.

My ES6 Notes

1 Like

Your notes are private. :slight_smile:

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I have restarted the JavaScript section in its entirety recently and I’m working back through it more slowly and more methodically.

Originally, I began by progressing through at the rate that I went through the HTML/CSS course and it just doesn’t work, sadly. I got up to the ES6 stuff and realised that I didn’t understand a word of what was in front of me, because I had gone too quickly.

Since I realised that my work methods were, well, not working, what has benefited me since, is having a code scratchpad open (notepad file, or whatever you use to write code) and once I have completed a challenge, I go to my scratchpad and code a version of what I have just completed on FCC. If I can’t do it and understand what I’m typing, I re-do the challenge over and over until I can write a new version of the code in my scratchpad using different variables, arrays or whatever.

If FCC feels like it’s going too fast, it’s actually because you’re going too fast. Find a method of approaching FCC that is going to work for you in the long run, when the courses start to get seriously hard. Remember, if you’re finding it tough now, imagine how difficult it will be when you get to algorithms etc.

None of this impossible, but it is difficult. Find ways to make your learning more efficient and enjoyable.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Okay, i published to the web:

Click here for the notes

Alright thanks for the replies everyone. I’ll go back and study outside of FCC and come back to it once I understand a bit more of what’s going on. I tried taking notes and all that when doing the lessons but I didn’t really find that very helpful for me. I mostly learn things by doing

There is only one way to learn something - its do it again and again. For me was wery helpful, video on youtube and coursera and book by Barbara Oakley. Unfortunately i cant add the links for now

If you can summarize what the challenge is asking you to do, then you will understand it.